ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Hello from Fayetteville on this Monday morning...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
This is obviously a small sample size, but I've been sitting in the hotel breakfast area working for the last hour or so. A couple dozen Arkansas fans are scattered around me, and they seem really nervous. That's not really indicative of the game, but if there's tightness it seems to be on the Arkansas side. Ole Miss has been a thorn for them similar to State for Ole Miss. It's sort of comical to get the different perspective and realize every team has one of those teams it struggles with. Arkansas and TAMU have really struggled with Ole Miss.

I thought the Razorbacks were tight at times yesterday. There's some scar tissue involved with last season and losing a national championship like that. It's why the first few innings are so critical today. Ole Miss is playing with house money. It'll be a lighter crowd at 3 p.m. and Arkansas is kind of shaky in middle relief. Wicklander was exceptional in the regional, so we'll see what his state is.

Gunnar has to keep the ball down. He throws a lot of fly balls, and it's been a dang jet stream around here. With his struggles the second time through the order I expect Mike to have a quick hook and be very impatient once he makes the loop once. In a perfect world, Hoglund goes three or four and the Phillips gets to start the beginning of an inning and bridge to Miller and Caracci. Ole Miss needs to win this game before Cronin gets the chance.

Just on paper, I think the third or fourth inning is the most important time of the game -- whenever Hoglund sees that Ezell, Martin, Goodheart, Fletcher group a second time.

It's been two really good teams playing two blowouts so we're probably due a close one. Mike has been very good the last couple weeks. Roth was the exactly right reliever at the right time yesterday. I'd play Elko instead of Adams today I think, but I'll be a little surprised if that happens.

Arkansas beat South Carolina 14-4 in super regional game three last year after losing game two, and the Hogs are trying to use that as experience. But only three starters are back from that team.

The bracket is wide open for one of these teams. We'll see who gets to TD Ameritrade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.