ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s what I think has to happen over the next week..

OxonianReb

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
1) Ole Miss has to ask for some clarity on what Kiffin thinks about the Auburn job. Obviously, this is mainly done through backchannels and agents, but Keith has to be ahead of it either way. And please stop with the rescind the offer stuff. He’s won 18 regular season games in two years with a solid chance at 19. He’s our best chance at Atlanta and the Playoff, period.

2) @WL3, Walker Jones, @CubbieReb, whomever is affiliated with GC, we have to start being more proactive with crafting a media strategy. When this national partnership comes out tomorrow or Tuesday, there has to be a promotion push to change this narrative that Ole Miss is uncompetitive in the NIL world. We can’t be afraid to show our hand because we think other programs will use those numbers against us. The truth is they already are because of our silence. The media strategy has to be proactive. Athletics has to be involved as well. Get our stuff out in front of talking heads in the media (i.e. Finebaum, commentators for our game, etc.). If you have to issue a press release because national media won’t run with it, issue a press release about it.

3) When Keith talks to Kiffin about his contract, there has to be a mutual understanding with a number of things. One thing is the impact of his words (or lack thereof). I think there’s plenty of times where Kiffin isn’t intentionally disparaging his employer, but the media takes his comments out of context. If the fanbase hits goals (sellouts, NIL expenditures, etc.), the expectation should be that Kiffin also points those out. Because whether he’s just using his words to challenge our fanbase to be better is irrelevant. It’s a reputation hit, and a lot of what the media crafts about support from our fanbase is fabricated or downright untrue.

The second thing Keith has to talk to Kiffin about is his coordinators. We all know W/L doesn’t show it, but it’s obvious they’re not going to be the guys that lead a unit to the SEC West title. A part of a new contract would also be the expectation that he considers bringing on some more experienced coordinators.

-
Overall, I actually lean towards KIffin staying. But I also agree with @UnconfirmedSource that while we should do everything in our power to avert a HC defection to a school in the division, there should also be the discussion that coaching candidate talk from year-to-year isn’t healthy. So if he wants to stay, there needs to be a better gameplan on how to dispel speculation in the media in future seasons, especially if we’re vying for a Playoff bid.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News