ADVERTISEMENT

I am disenfranchised as an Ole Miss alumnus.

Bilbo11

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2004
Why can I not vote on this issue. After all, you've taken my money for over 40 years. What's the deal?

There has been nothing to say the alums can't influence the vote. Helping a campaign to support your decision is much more powerful than a single vote. By all means do whatever you can to influence the decision. There is nothing stopping you.

I believe it is the right call to let the students decide. Mascots are a marketing tool that need to appeal to a young demographic. Having a younger segment select the mascot increases the chances it will appeal to the target segment.

For the moment it will. You have to think long term. You are a good poster. Nothing personal.

I see more Ole Miss apparel on 'older people' than I do on the students at football games.

Aren't there approx. 12,000 students in Oxford?
Take away 8000 avg for visiting fans.
Who fills up the other 40,500 seats when we sell out a game?

The administration knows it's much easier to sway the students than the alumni base.

The target segment would seem to be whomever spends, or gives, the most money to support the program, which would be the alumni. The 14,000 or so students could not keep the athletic department afloat.

Ultimately, this vote is little more than the student body deciding among itself whether or not it wishes to be a part of the process.

Now that this has passed, what I think should happen is a committee made up of representatives from the student body, athletes, coaches/athletic department, the University administration, and the Alumni Association.

Structure the committee with all of those groups represented and everyone that matters will have some representation at the table.

The only ground rule that I would put in place would be that no idea, outside of the exact same old Colonel Reb, be off limits... if some want to discuss a modern, young and fierce "Rebel" like the logo that graces this board, it should be considered... if someone wants to propose a dinosaur, it should be considered (but, hopefully shot down quickly).

Originally posted by labreb:
The target segment would seem to be whomever spends, or gives, the most money to support the program, which would be the alumni. The 14,000 or so students could not keep the athletic department afloat.
I think you misunderstood. The target segment a mascot is used to appeal to is the children. I am specifically referring to a physical mascot and not apparel. This is the case with almost every mascot in sports.

Actually, I'd wager that student tuition is more per year than most outside of the bigger donors have ever given in a single year.

Sure, many students aren't paying their tuition or have grants, loans, scholarships that cover it for them, but the face value of a year's tuition is a lot more than is necessary to buy just about any season tickets outside of the higher rent districts of the football stadium.

Yes Rebhoo, but only a very small portion of the tuition goes to support the athletic programs. If The teams had to rely on that, it wouldn't even cover the cost to travel to an away game. The alumni who buy $55.00 tickets, plus the donation to get season tickets pay the bills.

Students should get a large say, but Alumni should be involved in the process also, which in today's DM it said they would be. Let's face it a few students are going to sift through ideas and "choose" their favorites for the rest of the students to vote on. How much say the student body actually gets on what those few ideas brought up for the vote are remains to be seen, but I am willing to bet the administration and alumni (at least the big donors if nobody else)will have the most say.

I guess the administration thinks someone taking University studies and Pschology 101 is better suited to making decisions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT