ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: I asked Mike about the decision to let Gunnar start the game at A&M

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Here's the exact transcript of my question and the answer. I know many of you have wondered about that since that time, so I did my job. Here's what he said.

"I meant to ask you on Friday and obviously the damage didn’t happen in the game, but with the forearm being a potential UCL indicator, how close were you to scratching him after he felt that in the bullpen?"

“I don’t know that answer. How about that? He warmed up and I didn’t hear anything, on Friday I have to walk down and turn in the lineup, so I missed the last probably 6 minutes, 5 minutes of the warmup and I came down and Laff told me that a few pitches he felt some tightness in his forearm, went back and the way A&M’s dugout is, there’s a little back area where the restroom and training table and he was sitting on there and Josh Porter, our trainer, and I went up to him and what’s then deal and he said of the 30-plus pitches or so I felt some tightness. Any pain? No pain. What do you want to do? We can scratch you right now and get Diamond ready, and he said ‘no, I feel good. I don’t have any pain and want to go out there. We made a plan that at any point he didn’t think he could continue or if he hurt, he would look in and give me a signal and I would walk out immediately, and he never got that. It’s just one of those things, and I don’t know what you’re getting at, Chase, but it’s one of those things that isn’t cut and dry or black or white, I don’t think anyone will ever know or what happened or where it happened. Even doctors can’t pinpoint that. I just think it is what it is, and it’s a common injury. It’s a shame, but fortunately for him it’s an injury you usually come back highly successful from.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.