ADVERTISEMENT

Just Finished Watching the Grove Bowl...

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
on DVR after watching the final episode of "Justified", also on DVR ( The GREATEST invention EVER ) to decompress after umpiring an intense baseball game tonight and I wanted to share a couple of observations and admissions about what I saw. Keep in mind these are the opinions of a high school coach who knows just enough about what he is looking at to get himself in trouble, but here goes anyway.

I have said REPEATEDLY on this site for nearly two years that RB would be the successor at qb. I have maintained that stance through all of the "informed" people predicting DK and talking about DK's arm strength and athleticism, which he has. I stayed with my thoughts that RB would eventually be the man even though I know that our courtship of CK went from lukecool to an offer very quickly after the Arkansas debacle. I likened our situation with the Jacob Coker/Blake Sims situation from last season and stayed with RB as my prediction. With all of that said, after watching the tape of the Grove Bowl tonight, IF I were the coach and I had to make the decision based solely on the Grove Bowl performance, I would have to say that I would start.... Chad Kelly. Here is why:

1. He looked in complete control in the opening drive. He threw several darts and seemed to be in command of the situation.
2. He did an excellent job of going through his progressions, based on what I was able to glean from watching the shot provided by ESPN.
3. He has IT. IT can't be coached. You either have IT or you don't. Chad Kelly has IT.
4. It seemed to me that he was being held back like a green broke stallion by the coaches. They know that Saban will be studying EMCC tape all summer and that Alabama devoted periods of their practices this spring to "Ole Miss stuff". Hence, the careful selection of plays when he was in and the limits on extended play he received.

Ryan Buchannan had some bright moments as well, and was the victim of several drops. It is my sincere hope that he improves and wins the job, as I believe he will be a much better ambassador for Ole Miss long term, coupled with the fact that he is an instate guy that spurned Alabama and several others to stay at home and he has been in the program 3 years. That said, I just don't see it at this point, after watching the Grove Bowl. Here is the skinny on RB:
1. He seemed to go through his progressions fairly well, but seemed to "play it safe" and worked to his check down receiver rather quickly on more than one occasion.
2, While Evan Engram had a couple of big drops that would have made RB's stats look better and might have enabled him to establish a rhythm, which is very important for a QB and an offense,...I just don't see IT at this point from RB. Again, I am pulling for him. I want to be right for the last 2+ years. I just didn't see IT on that tape.
3. He did not seem to have the arm strength necessary to throw the deep ball. QB is about sooo many more things than arm strength, but it is an important thing to have arm strength to make the tough throw.

DK had some bright spots as well, but I see him 3rd right now. I see him taking over as our short yardage, special situation QB. I really think he can be as good or maybe even better than Barry Brunetti in that capacity. Here are some things I noticed:
1. He did not go through his progressions on more than one occasion and chose to abandon the pocket quickly and take off with his feet. That is a strong suit of his, but not a good habit to have long term.
2. He missed a couple of wide open receivers for huge gains and possibly TD's. You have to hit wide open receivers.
3. The Field Goal drive was a nice drive by DK, but he stared down his receiver on the slant at the goal line. The pass should have been picked.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds this summer and into fall camp. I have a stated personal favorite, but if CK is the best and gives us the best chance to win the West and go to Atlanta, then I will be his biggest fan. May the best man win. Got to get some sleep now that I have shared. Hotty Toddy and God Bless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News