ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby Smart and helicopter

Reblarry

Two-Star Prospect
May 4, 2005
Panama City, FL
What the heck is that about? Taking lessons from Trump? You know, most recruiters use an airport or a highway, not a damned high school field. Cheap way to gain a recruit's attention if you ask me. Get real, Smart! The more I see the frivolities of recruiting such as picking a hat from a podium, or flying to a high school field, the more I want to puke.

What the heck is that about? Taking lessons from Trump? You know, most recruiters use an airport or a highway, not a damned high school field. Cheap way to gain a recruit's attention if you ask me. Get real, Smart! The more I see the frivolities of recruiting such as picking a hat from a podium, or flying to a high school field, the more I want to puke.
Saban visits recruits via helicopter. He visited a recruit in the Atlanta area a few months ago and the chopper landed on the HS practice field.

Not silly to an 18 year old recruit. But from an efficiency perspective, don't you think it saves a lot of time to fly directly in instead of driving or flying to the nearest airport which may be some distance away?
Come on! I understand what you're saying, but what's the real point? I do a lot of flying, and every community has an airport. It's a show-off scheme to attract some 18 year old hot shot who has been cajoled and coddled since he was 13! Glad Freeze doesn't do this. Contrived and cheap! I get into recruiting, but not on this basis! A kid who is attracted by a helicopter on his hs field-I don't want him!

Come on! I understand what you're saying, but what's the real point? I do a lot of flying, and every community has an airport. It's a show-off scheme to attract some 18 year old hot shot who has been cajoled and coddled since he was 13! Glad Freeze doesn't do this. Contrived and cheap! I get into recruiting, but not on this basis! A kid who is attracted by a helicopter on his hs field-I don't want him!

Every community may have an airport, but not every coach arrives in a helicopter. You're looking at this through an adult's eyes, not a high school football player's eyes.

Every community may have an airport, but not every coach arrives in a helicopter. You're looking at this through an adult's eyes, not a high school football player's eyes.
I remember Bobby Bowden recruiting a center from Bay HS in Panama City. He didn't have to impress some 18 year old to sign with some damn helicopter! The whole school went crazy! Bowden showed up, and left-LOI in hand. Hate to think when I pay for an Ole Miss ticket it's going for BS like a helicopter-that's expensive as hell! What will happen is when this recruit hot shot gets his bell rung in practice, it isn't so easy anymore. Just my opinion.

I remember Bobby Bowden recruiting a center from Bay HS in Panama City. He didn't have to impress some 18 year old to sign with some damn helicopter! The whole school went crazy! Bowden showed up, and left-LOI in hand. Hate to think when I pay for an Ole Miss ticket it's going for BS like a helicopter-that's expensive as hell! What will happen is when this recruit hot shot gets his bell rung in practice, it isn't so easy anymore. Just my opinion.

Bobby Bowden also didn't have to deal with Twitter, FB, or Smart phones. The world has changed and it's not that you have to but coaches want to do any little thing they can to set themselves apart. If you have 4 schools even in your mind but one coach flies a helicopter in to see you and the others drive in that can give the edge.

Bama's football program turns a large profit every year when most programs break even. I don't think they're too concerned with expense.

No comment about Notre Dame driving to Drob's house in Savannah, GA in the ND semi truck? It's recruiting people....it's changed. The state of Georgia is overflowing with talent and a helicopter ride to visit a recruit isn't that unreasonable. Have you EVER driven in Metro Atlanta traffic? Kirby has many recruits to visit. Plus it kind of adds the wow factor into the visit as well. I'd be shocked if Freeze doesn't use this option in the future.

What's the point in doing that? Seems silly.

You ever drove in the rush hour traffic in and around Atlanta? As you probably know metro Atlanta takes in several HS and has over 100P5 recruits in it. When the sign says your exit is 6 miles away, estimated driving time 20 minutes you aren't going to get to many schools. Its that way everyday, if there is a wreck you might sit fora couple hours and not move. It would be stupid to not use another form of transportation like a chopper if one is made available

Trolling?
No, not trolling-serious!. I still believe it's frivolous to fly a damn helicopter to a high school field of some blue chip, 5 star prospect. Just seems cheap and contrived. You all are entitled to your views. Sorry, that's me! Voiced my opinions and am sticking with it. But right now we may be looking at probation, thanks to the NCAA and Nutt. We've got a major problem. Thirty allegations! As much as I love Ole Miss-a troller doesn't say that-must admit I'm disappointed with the handling of the Tunsil deal. And as a result, we may be having several de-commits!

You ever drove in the rush hour traffic in and around Atlanta? As you probably know metro Atlanta takes in several HS and has over 100P5 recruits in it. When the sign says your exit is 6 miles away, estimated driving time 20 minutes you aren't going to get to many schools. Its that way everyday, if there is a wreck you might sit fora couple hours and not move. It would be stupid to not use another form of transportation like a chopper if one is made available
That's why we have an effing Beechcraft King Air based at Oxford's airport so it can be used for this purpose. I've seen it-beautiful! Fly it into DeKalb-Peachtree, arrange a parent-son meeting at his residence, or school. Problem solved! Been doing that for years! BTW, who are we recruiting in Atlanta?

No, not trolling-serious!. I still believe it's frivolous to fly a damn helicopter to a high school field of some blue chip, 5 star prospect. Just seems cheap and contrived. You all are entitled to your views. Sorry, that's me! Voiced my opinions and am sticking with it. But right now we may be looking at probation, thanks to the NCAA and Nutt. We've got a major problem. Thirty allegations! As much as I love Ole Miss-a troller doesn't say that-must admit I'm disappointed with the handling of the Tunsil deal. And as a result, we may be having several de-commits!

Sorry... A troll would love to discuss more important things, such as probation. Why not wait until we have de-commits before declaring that the sky is falling. And if you're new to recruiting, de-commits are part of the equation for every school, along with "flipping" commits from other schools.

Sorry... A troll would love to discuss more important things, such as probation. Why not wait until we have de-commits before declaring that the sky is falling. And if you're new to recruiting, de-commits are part of the equation for every school, along with "flipping" commits from other schools.

It's over, bro. You cannot ignore getting a Notice of Allegations From the NCAA.

Time to go back to being a USF fan for you.

I said "may" have de-commits. And a troll intentionally stirs up the pot. I'm not trying to do that. I'm telling it like it is. I've been on this board for several months now, expressed my concerns, and this is one of them. Trolls don't discuss-they just run away.

It's over, bro. You cannot ignore getting a Notice of Allegations From the NCAA.

Time to go back to being a USF fan for you.

Poor wittle crybaby bammer boy is back...Still frying chickens for the Colonel in Mudhole Alabama.
[roll]
th2T6RX8KH.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT