ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Lane Kiffin Monday quick hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Excited about a matchup and a very good program in Kentucky. They play physical and it’s an 11 a.m. kick and our guys are used to it with getting up and practicing. Excited for our fans and they were great this past week. This will be challenging and took UGA to the wire and are really good. When they are motivated to play they are really good.

They have really good length defensively and size and they can play with UGA at home, not so much in Georgia. It’s happened to us. When you don’t have size and length on defense you struggle with UGA and Bama. They look like an NFL defense with size and technique. It’s like the NFL; it’s hard to make yards and run the ball.

I think Jaxson is a wonderful person and treats people well and spends time with teammates and kids and my own son and nephew. Great family and person and our relationship has a trust level on the field and spend time on the field and let him play on Saturdays. It started one way and you build that and for a guy we didn’t recruit out of high school and didn’t have that early relationship. Go back to Corral throwing six interceptions I told him we have to coach better and we have your back. That goes a long way. And in recruiting. They know what they will get and they can trust us to have their backs.

No disrespect but teams we’ve played have struggled this year. We’ll find more about that. It’s why I am not saying much about where we rank offensively or defensively. We have a chance to be good but we have to prove that against better players.

The kickoff time is what it is. I wish for fans they’d give us night SEC games. I just know our fans love it and the energy but it is what it is. We can’t control that.

I feel good about JJ playing this weekend.

Injury reports are what they are. I didn’t think the system was broken and didn’t want it changed but we report one more day than the NFL does but it is what it is. I haven’t even figured it out yet. We’ll meet before it’s due and figure it out.

The length is the biggest difference with front sevens as far as the biggest change from non-con to SEC play. And there will be at least one high draft pick front seven player. UK has an inside guy that’s a problem. 6-7, 330 and can rush. Perfect example of an SEC problem player.

Jaxson has physically improved through a lot of work – body, feet, arm. He’s relentless in pursuit of being great. He is in the film room a ton. But he works on his own game constantly. We give him off days and he’s flying somewhere to go throw and get better.

I’m a realist. I don’t think our opponents have prepared us for SEC play. I hope practices and camp have prepared us because we have really good players on both sides. The schedule is what it is. I hope our practice has done that.

I don’t know about the 100th career win. That’s a lot of places and a lot of coaches and players to help do that. This is a really big game against a good team. We’ve played them down to the wire. We need to prepare and play well.

I just try to come up with ideas to make it fun and be fun to watch. The dunking came from that. It was creative. They like it. We show them on Mondays the dunks and grade themselves. I want to make us entertaining for players, fans and future players. Best dunker is not Jaxson Dart. Parrish does a good job for someone not as long and tall. I get a lot of responses that I’m crazy to my ideas, but some are done on purpose and some are not on purpose like Juice the dog. That wasn’t on purpose.

I knew we were getting a great player in Tre and knew he was wired the right way and wanted to work. Great family. He’s worked on his size and strength but knew he had a chance to be special.

The chancellor has been amazing. Everything I’m involved in he thinks through it and makes great plans and helps athletics. He has awareness of everything going on. He’s creative. That’s a really good move by the NCAA.

I didn’t know Jayden Williams started as a WR but I knew TE in high school which we look at because they grow into linemen. He has great feet. That would make sense.

The OL rotation has been hampered by injuries. Three good players weren’t available last week. As we get healthy we’ll rotate more and improve that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.