ADVERTISEMENT

Long sob story about my grandpa: Info needed

Rebs515

Rotation Player
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2021
So, my grandfather is from Crystal Springs Mississippi. He moved the family to Texas, when my father was pretty young. But he definitely brought the love of OM with him, and turned the entire family into fans, but especially me. (I still have a ton of family in Mississippi, btw)

We shared the Ole Miss bond and that’s pretty much been our relationship my whole life. I was born in 91, and he had me going to games ever since the Independence Bowl in 1999..

Ever since elementary school, he has driven me to Egg Bowls, just me and him. We live 6 1/2 hours from Oxford, and he would literally eat thanksgiving lunch with family at 11:00, put me in his truck right after. Drive straight to the game to get there by kickoff at 6:30, watch the entire game, and drive straight back. No hotels, no nothing. Anyone that’s made that type of drive that distance and back in one day knows how hard and exhausting it is. I have much more respect and thankfulness for that now that I’m older and understand how hard that probably was for him to pull off back then, especially at his age.

Well, 4 years ago, someone hit him head on in Tyler, Tx in an automobile accident. It messed him up pretty good. The man that hit him didn’t have any type of insurance, and my grandfather being a preacher, didn’t want to take him to court or try to get money or anything like that. Just literally dealt with it.

He developed drop foot, and walks slow, loses balance and had trouble sitting or standing for long periods of time. Car rides were also difficult for him. Thankfully he has started to get a little better after numerous surgeries and such.

Well, today at lunch (and I promise the story is almost over lol) He told me that he wanted to go to one last game in Oxford sometime. I was surprised because he still isn’t in the best shape, and has trouble with movement, and I feel like there are a ton of obstacles for him. But with that being said, I feel as though I owe him for all the trips he’s taken me on, and really becoming the reason I am the Ole Miss fan that I am, which sometimes I regret 😂😂 too late to turn back now though. Lol

Anyway, I am a season ticket holder, but I know there is no way that he could possibly make it in those bleacher seats. So I have come to Rebel Grove for information because I’m not super familiar with VHS.

I plan on surprising him with tickets and hotels for a game this fall, but I have a few questions. I’ve never sat anywhere but the cheap seats, because I’m a man of the people. Lol but for the people in suites, and with knowledge of VHS, what is the best/easiest places to sit for people with his condition?
Is there room in suites for him to walk around and take it easy if he were to get uncomfortable? A more comfortable seat up there besides the chair backs? Are there any other places that he can sit that are handicap accessible? And are there elevators for people who struggle to walk upstairs??

Any information that’s anyone has that can make this Gameday experience easier for him, I would greatly appreciate it. I’m also not asking for anything or looking for any types of handouts. Only information on the easiest most accessible way for my grandfather to watch his last game in the place that we have so many great memories, and that has brought us so close over the years.

TIA

If you’ve made it this far into my ramblings, thank you, you’re a better person than me. Lol

Edit: Only asking so early because his birthday is the end of April and I’m trying to get everything sorted by then, if this will even be possible or not. Also, can you rent golf carts on campus to get him around if I wanted to on Gameday, or is that even allowed? Could always get him in a wheelchair, but he’s prideful, and doesn’t want to be in one 😂

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News