ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Midweek Thoughts: Rebels run past Little Rock, 11-6

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss accomplished a few different things with its win over Little Rock, 11-6, on Tuesday, in preparation for LSU starting Thursday at 7 p.m. and continuing t 6:30 Friday and noon Saturday. Here are some things that come to mind from last night.

I thought Jack Dougherty did a good enough job in his second audition to be considered for weekend innings. He can't walk people -- in general and to gain 5's trust -- but the first-inning triple obviously wasn't all his fault, and the slider wasn't a bad pitch in the second inning that was hit. I liked his response there in the first. So, it wasn't perfect, but he remains an intriguing option.

In total, Ole Miss used eight pitchers, and I thought it was an important outing for Braden Forsyth. He's only pitched once in league play and he hit a batter but was sharp otherwise. Mike went to Mallitz and Miller on Sunday because they don't walk many people. Right or wrong, that's the reason, so Forsyth and Wes Burton throwing strikes is the key to more playing time -- I think, in my opinion. Burton walked two in his inning and hit a batter but struck out two and gave up an unearned run. So, I don't know what that means for more time for him. His ERA is 1.93, but he has walked nine in 9.1 innings.

It was a nice, important outing for Jackson Kimbrell. He's had some command issues of late, but eight strikes in a nine-pitch inning that included two strikeouts. He's Ole Miss' only left-handed pen option. The Rebels need him.

Mike said he's contemplated playing Kemp Alderman for weeks and he's been on the travel roster, though he's only been the bullpen catcher to this point. At first it was an emergency because Harris and Baker couldn't catch and they only had two active catchers, but Mike said he is similar to Dougherty with how he's improved. Obviously Tim Elko's absence has escalated it as well. It looked like what we expected. He still has some pitch recognition issues which has been his weakness, but my gosh he has power. That's never an issue. It's raw but it's plus-plus. The single was 111 MPH exit speed. I understand why he hasn't played much, but I don't really get the redshirt. The odds of him five years here is very small. I get why he wouldn't get a lot of time the rest of the year, and I get why you play for the upside. So no huge opinion either way. I do think developing him and holding on to him is crucial.

John Rhys Plumlee had four really good at-bats. He's improved a lot and as an all-around option there's an argument to play him every day, given the injuries and even just period.

It was just a day off for Justin Bench. He would have played had it been a conference game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.