ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Mike's comments to Richard yesterday...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Mike was on Richard's show yesterday. Credit to Richard for asking pertinent questions, especially on a weekly radio hit like that.

https://www.supertalk.fm/shows/sports/ It's around the 2:13 mark.

"Game 3 was in your grasp, gut wrenching. You're a pitch away with a couple hitters and. a couple base on balls and then of course Frizzell hits the big grand slam which I'm sure a lot of our fans saw (I guess he meant he's talking to fans of all three Mississippi schools on the radio). Tough weekend for us to swallow, I think."

"Not really. he had an MRI this morning and we should know more information the next 24-36 hours. The rest is just speculation. You get the test to find out." (I guess a second opinion or someone else reading it is reason for that kind of delay, but they know the severity of the injury much earlier than that. If it's a grade 2 tear, they could be deciding whether to do surgery or PRP therapy. Speculation on my part.)

(On walking Frizzell with the bases loaded) "I've don't think I've ever seen that, so no it doesn't really make sense to me. Certainly the thing was, you didn't want to get to that point, didn't want to get to Frizzell. Sometimes it happens but the mistake was the two walks beforehand. The wind was blowing out and it was a scary time to pitch to anyone with the bases loaded. So if the question is am I disappointed I didn't walk the guy, no, maybe different pitch maybe, but disappointed we put ourselves in that situation."

"He hit five home runs on five different pitches. (He goes through the different pitches, fastballs, changeup, breaking balls). We thought with the fastball we could challenge him and beat him."

"Leatherwood has been really hot, but this is their closer and an outstanding left-hander and just thought we needed to get a run and answer back right then. Leatherwood in the 7-hole at this point, so if we can get the runners to second and third, we only need a sac fly or ground ball. We're not a bunt team, we don't bunt much, but we had the opportunity to have Van Cleve who is the best bunter on the team, so we decide to pinch bunt and put it down and everything is in order. We pinch hit Tim for Cael because there's more swing and miss in Cael than Elko and I didn't think they would walk Elko. I thought they may try to pitch to him because there's some swing and miss in him as well. But they put the bases loaded which kind of set us up with Harris, who's the guy who doesn't strike out and puts the ball in play. He his a ball in the six hole and probably six inches left it's a base hit and we go ahead. The shortstop makes a sensational play and they turn the double play by six inches. They just got us. It's part of the deal. Could we have let Leatherwood swing? That's how it goes. I'm sure on your show when it doesn't go well, there's a lot of could you, should you, and obviously we thought this was the better situation."

(Richard asks if Mike thinks A&M was walking that spot in the lineup no matter what or walking Tim specifically) "It may have been Elko because he hit a home run the day before and there's not as many strikeouts and he can hit a fly ball and that day a fly ball could get out of the ballpark. The walk puts the double play in order, but what it does, even if you get a strikeout of Harris, the scary thing for Rob is you have to face Gonzalez with the bases loaded. That's what I didn't think he would do. I thought he'd take a chance with the guy who has had four at-bats on a torn ACL, instead of facing Harris who is a hard strikeout guy and then you face Gonzalez with the bases loaded, if you don't turn a double play."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.