ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Monday, Jan. 30 Recruiting Notes, presented by A-1 Discount Tree and Lawn Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
Daily recruiting notes are presented by A-1 Discount Tree and Lawn Service. For removal, trimming, stump grinding, demolition and land clearing, call A-1 at 601-981-4900 or check out their website www.A1DiscountTree.com.

Here's Sunday's thread, in case you missed it or need to catch up:

The late National Signing Day is Wednesday. We're only watching a handful of guys.

OT Chimdy Onoh visited Ole Miss over the weekend. He called the visit "decent," adding that he "just didn't feel like I was prioritized during the visit." I'm not the most persistent guy in the world, but I'm betting that I'm accurate when I say my instincts indicate Onoh will sign with Michigan State or Penn State (assuming those are commitable offers) on Wednesday. Literally, as I was typing this update, Onoh answered my question from last night. I asked "So is Ole Miss out? Down to 2?"
His answer this morning: "Basically."

Sources close to Ole Miss indicated St. Petersburg (Lakewood), Fla., defensive end Chamberlain Campbell committed to Ole Miss Sunday after his official visit. Campbell, a 6-foot-7, 215-pounder, has more than a dozen offers, including offers from Auburn, Florida State, Kansas, Louisville, Miami, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Pitt and Rutgers.
I'm not a football expert, but Campbell looks to be very athletic, possessing an excellent frame. Obviously, at 215 pounds, he's a bit of a project, but his offer list is impressive. I'd like to get some form of confirmation from Campbell regarding his commitment before we flip him in the database, but if/once he signs Wednesday, none of that matters.

Both Michael Luker and I heard yesterday that Pahokee, Fla., defensive end DeeJay Holmes committed to Ole Miss. As of this morning, I still don't have confirmation of that. I've sent Holmes a message.

Holmes had a monster junior season at Pahokee. He was named the Sun-Sentinel and Palm Beach County Defensive Player of the Year. He said a sophomore injury provided the motivation to strive to be great.
"It actually took me to hurt my wrist my sophomore year," Holmes told our UCF site. "That made me realize I gotta do something to put me on the map. Everybody wants to play football, but not everybody wants to put in the work. When I broke my wrist, it gave me the mindset that this is your year, you've gotta go get it. That's what I did. 23 sacks, 92 tackles, 20-something tackles for loss, three picks and one touchdown."
His favorite player growing up was Jevon Kearse.

"A lot of people compare me to him," Holmes said.

His ultimate goal is to reach the NFL and make Pahokee proud.

"If I go anywhere and you say you're from Pahokee, you're gonna get what you expect," Holmes said. "People will be like, 'I know y'all fast, y'all chase rabbits.' That's how it is. They know what's up."

Holmes has some 20-plus offers, including offers from Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Maryland, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, Vanderbilt, West Virginia and Penn State.

FULL LOGO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News