ADVERTISEMENT

Movie I recommend - The Old Way (2023)

SharkmanReb

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2017
Flowood MS
I probably love a great western over just about any other genre. Sadly, great westerns these days in woke Hollyweird are all but nonexistent.

So, while The Old Way, with Nick Cage, Nick Searcy, and Ryan Keira Armstrong is not a great western, it was surprisingly.... pretty darn decent. Above average. Solid. Well worth a watch. 3.5 stars out of 5.

The story isn't anything new, but the actors step up to make it work well. Cage sort of phones in a lot of his performances these days, but he's a notch or two above that here. He plays a sullen, taciturn old gunfighter/stone cold killer who found a good woman. She settled him down, and now he runs a general store.

Bad guys do bad things to his family and he reverts to his past deadly ways to get revenge/justice. Yes, it kinda Unforgiven(ish), at least in it's initial setup.

The real people who carry the movie are Searcy who plays a sheriff trying to do his job, and Armstrong as Cage's daughter. She's great here. She has some lines that had me LOL. Searcy is awesome, as always, and he's in this one a lot, not just as a throw away character.

This Ryan Keira Armstrong (Am I the only one who is always irritated at people who insist on going with 3 names?) girl has some acting chops. I see a bright future for her if she doesn't go off the Hollyweird deep end.

Anyway, the story is somewhat predictable but the actors make it a very solid watch and if you have a couple of hours to spare, check it out. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Reactions: Rebel Engineer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.