ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: My thoughts on the "interview"

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
We're working hard to find out what the hell is going on, but I can tell you this:

I've known Glenn Guilbeau for 20-plus years. He left Mobile a year before I got there. He's covered LSU ever since and he's super connected. He's not making that up. I texted with him this morning and he is absolutely standing by his story regarding Bianco and Godwin interviewing in the Baton Rouge area with LSU AD Scott Woodward. Glenn said he was told Bianco would interview last night or today and Godwin on Thursday.

So let me be clear: There is no way, if I'm Keith Carter, Bianco goes anywhere near Baton Rouge (I suspect I know the site of the interviews, and it's definitely in Louisiana), interviews for a job in the same division and then returns to Oxford as my coach. No. F'ing. Way. Now, if Mike has agreed to the job and the interview is a formality, sure, fine, whatever. I'll play along. However, there's no coming back.

This is fast becoming a litmus test for Carter. If Bianco can "interview" for a parallel job, who else can? Don't get me wrong here. The East Carolina coach can interview for an SEC job and go back to ECU. The Ole Miss pitching coach can interview for a promotion and come back. However, if you let your head coach interview for another head coaching job and then come back, you're admitting OUT LOUD your job is inferior. The precedent set would be irreparable. Bottom line: It can't happen.

This has been percolating for two weeks. Don't pay any attention to the coach speak and the word salads. Carter has been more than aware of this. It feels as if it's coming to a head now. That's a Gannett publication, so Ole Miss can't hide behind the "we can't control what fan blogs write" defense. It's mainstream now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.