ADVERTISEMENT

New Assistant Coaches .....

Bill_D

All-Pro NFL
Jun 26, 2001
I just noticed that Ole Miss is replacing 4-5 or more assistant coaches. Isn't it a bad time to be doing this with the end of recruiting coming up? This is very unusual. What brought it on ?

The changes made on defense didn't surprise me. Wommack wanted to retire. He never was a LB coach so we needed a LB coach. CrimeDog is a DB coach. Our D line under performed all year. We needed a new spark there. I think Freeze wanted to shake up our offense but not destroy it so he hired a guy who can take this offense and add to it. It'll be a whole new ball game and one can only hope it works.

I just noticed that Ole Miss is replacing 4-5 or more assistant coaches. Isn't it a bad time to be doing this with the end of recruiting coming up? This is very unusual. What brought it on ?

A lot of coaches are trying to get out of Oxford before the storm hits. Including Freeze.

Neither OC nor DC were "on the road" recruiters (mistake). Freeze hired his buddy Batoon as a recruiter and gave him a coaching position (another mistake). Freeze moved DC (Wommack) to LB coach so Batoon could coach DBs (yet another mistake). Kiffin joined brother at FAU as DC, and Heard accepted position as Co-OC at Indiana. We have failed miserably over past several years to recruit SEC-type LBs, and our red-zone play calling sucked. IMHO, Freeze didn't complete the necessary "house-cleaning", but he needed recruiters to salvage this year's class. Recruiting appears to be strength of new coaches, but I agree they are coming in late in the process.

Heard leaving bothers me most. We have had world class WR's, he's an alum, and he recruited well in tx where he's from.

Neither OC nor DC were "on the road" recruiters (mistake). Freeze hired his buddy Batoon as a recruiter and gave him a coaching position (another mistake). Freeze moved DC (Wommack) to LB coach so Batoon could coach DBs (yet another mistake). Kiffin joined brother at FAU as DC, and Heard accepted position as Co-OC at Indiana. We have failed miserably over past several years to recruit SEC-type LBs, and our red-zone play calling sucked. IMHO, Freeze didn't complete the necessary "house-cleaning", but he needed recruiters to salvage this year's class. Recruiting appears to be strength of new coaches, but I agree they are coming in late in the process.
Just setting up for the second phase. If you think our recruiting was strong in the past, with this crew, Ole Miss is just getting started.

Just setting up for the second phase. If you think our recruiting was strong in the past, with this crew, Ole Miss is just getting started.

Well you just lost the #1 recruit on your board to FSU, so I'm not sure that's the start you should be bragging about.

You should have a party that he didn't choose lsu or us. Take a 5 minute break from our board and go thank God but not for being a neck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT