ADVERTISEMENT

NFL teams lay off!

Beatlesreb

Three-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2015
Panama City, FL
There should be a clause in every scholarship college football or basketball player that they will not be eligible for the NFL until they have completed their 4 year term with that college they signed for. It's my understanding their scholarships are expensive, with all needs provided, they advertise that university (stipends should be provided, thus) via video games and ticket sales, and must earn a freaking degree within that 4 years. And coaches recruit these players using very expensive jets from Oxford's airport! I believe players have an obligation to their respective universities (with stipends provided), while NFL teams not interfere!

Reactions: Reb57
There should be a clause in every scholarship college football or basketball player that they will not be eligible for the NFL until they have completed their 4 year term with that college they signed for. It's my understanding their scholarships are expensive, with all needs provided, they advertise that university (stipends should be provided, thus) via video games and ticket sales, and must earn a freaking degree within that 4 years. And coaches recruit these players using very expensive jets from Oxford's airport! I believe players have an obligation to their respective universities (with stipends provided), while NFL teams not interfere!
scholarships are only year to year.

Sports agents are the aggressors more than the NFL

Sports agents are the aggressors more than the NFL
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't agents affiliated with the NFL, and can the NFL trump agents? Regardless of the sports agents, the point still stands as to players fulfilling an obligation AND receiving a degree. That's the purpose of college. Please read the Randle El article on Yahoo sports. I'd post it here if I were computer savvy.

Sending talented juniors to the NFL advertises Ole Miss to prospective college players. Those 5* players everybody wants are thinking about the League, and what school can get them there.

Getting a degree is not cheap. Just ask anyone with a student loan or parents who have played for a child's education. These players wanting a stipend are typical of the mindset of many youths who want things now and are part of the gimme gimme crowd.

Recruiting is expensive and a four year commitment would be nice, but evaluating each player annually for scholarship renewal benefits the school. By not renewing the scholarship of a nonproductive player, the school is then able to open a scholarship to a potentially productive player. It would be great to keep standout players on the roster for four years, but as mentioned above, players leaving for the NFL in three years is a good recruiting and advertising tool for Ole Miss. In addition, most players who start generally are starters for three years.

Reactions: Beatlesreb
be careful what you ask for - it could up like the basketball where they can leave after 1 year.

Getting a degree is not cheap. Just ask anyone with a student loan or parents who have played for a child's education. These players wanting a stipend are typical of the mindset of many youths who want things now and are part of the gimme gimme crowd.

Recruiting is expensive and a four year commitment would be nice, but evaluating each player annually for scholarship renewal benefits the school. By not renewing the scholarship of a nonproductive player, the school is then able to open a scholarship to a potentially productive player. It would be great to keep standout players on the roster for four years, but as mentioned above, players leaving for the NFL in three years is a good recruiting and advertising tool for Ole Miss. In addition, most players who start generally are starters for three years.
Right, was afraid of that. The "what's in it for me" mindset. No loyalty-I guess I'm old school. But that degree is way too often sneezed at in my opinion. Something to fall back on. But what you're saying is that the more players sent to the NFL provides a great advertising tool for Ole Miss. And then the one year scholarship renewal. If nonproductive, no scholarship. The way it is in the real world. New perspective for me. Learning something here.

Sending talented juniors to the NFL advertises Ole Miss to prospective college players. Those 5* players everybody wants are thinking about the League, and what school can get them there.
Therefore, the more players we send to the NFL, the better we look. Rather weakens the purpose in receiving a degree in my opinion. But I'm old school, I guess.

Therefore, the more players we send to the NFL, the better we look. Rather weakens the purpose in receiving a degree in my opinion. But I'm old school, I guess.

The better we look to the top high school players, yes. My guess is that our coaches discuss the path to the NFL plenty with the elite high school players, now that we have likely 3 first round picks this year.

NCAA and NFLPA should put a 4 year college stint as a prerequisite to entering the NFL Draft. Problem solved.

NCAA and NFLPA should put a 4 year college stint as a prerequisite to entering the NFL Draft. Problem solved.

I doubt the NFL players union would do anything to inhibit a persons ability to earn a living, i.e., leaving college early for an NFL paycheck. I believe the subject of early entry has been challenged and negotiated to what we have today. I don't see a problem.

I doubt the NFL players union would do anything to inhibit a persons ability to earn a living, i.e., leaving college early for an NFL paycheck. I believe the subject of early entry has been challenged and negotiated to what we have today. I don't see a problem.

Shepard Smith left school early to take a job with FOX because he had an opportunity to do something he was preparing to do and and get paid stupid money to do it. If he waited he may not had the same opportunity when he graduated. No one questions his love for Ole Miss. What is different about a kid going to the NFL? Most NFL players have the shelf life of milk. They just need to be sure they are ready (i.e. Snead).

Reactions: Roaming Rebel
I do. Leave a given university as a high profile elite player, blow out a knee, break your shoulder, you're done. No degree to fall back on b/c you left early. In my view, playing football is high risk. It's a gamble without an insurance policy (college degree).

Shepard Smith left school early to take a job with FOX because he had an opportunity to do something he was preparing to do and and get paid stupid money to do it. If he waited he may not had the same opportunity when he graduated. No one questions his love for Ole Miss. What is different about a kid going to the NFL? Most NFL players have the shelf life of milk. They just need to be sure they are ready (i.e. Snead).
Unusual circumstance, both of them. Shepard showed his ability in a TV studio just down the street from where I live in Panama City. Really wasn't a high risk not to make it big and didn't have to worry about blowing out a knee. Snead's case was weird. He could have made it in the NFL but simply lost interest according to an interview of one of his coaches. But I ask you, how does one know they ARE ready?

I do. Leave a given university as a high profile elite player, blow out a knee, break your shoulder, you're done. No degree to fall back on b/c you left early. In my view, playing football is high risk. It's a gamble without an insurance policy (college degree).

I don't disagree with your ideals...But there are many elite players interested in the League and little else.

I don't disagree with your ideals...But there are many elite players interested in the League and little else.
Right, I get that. But I believe it's the responsibility of the university to provide an education;an ideal, true. I assume these elite players are cited many examples of NFL players-rookies-who don't last long after getting banged up, and then end up with nothing. Didn't Senquez Golson go through this?

Right, I get that. But I believe it's the responsibility of the university to provide an education;an ideal, true. I assume these elite players are cited many examples of NFL players-rookies-who don't last long after getting banged up, and then end up with nothing. Didn't Senquez Golson go through this?

It's up to the student-athlete to take advantage of the college education that is offered. If they do, great. But many of the elite players are looking at playing in the League, and everything else is secondary.

Stay in college and that happens and you lose millions for not going pro

Stay in college and that happens and you lose millions for not going pro
Stay in college and get that degree, then go pro. Get a medical hardship if you get hurt in college. No one has brought that up. That FSU qb a few years ago-he did that-don't remember his name, but he was a 5th year senior!

Stay in college and get that degree, then go pro. Get a medical hardship if you get hurt in college. No one has brought that up. That FSU qb a few years ago-he did that-don't remember his name, but he was a 5th year senior!

Why risk injury by staying if I'm rated a first round pick? Turn down millions with several million guaranteed money to stay in school, risk injury and my draft stock dropping? A single play and my career is over. I'm signing with the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT