ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Observations: Lines of scrimmage the difference in blowout loss to 'Bama

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Even before the onslaught happened, I thought Lane Kiffin was too amped up. He wanted it so much, and he started chasing points and possessions after that first fourth-down failure around the five-yard line. A 3-0 lead even felt important right there. And it sends a positive message to the team. After that, he seemed be like the baseball player looking for the eight-run home run….

But that wasn’t the story of the game. Ole Miss was decimated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Offensively, Ole Miss got no push in the run game Matt Corral had very little time to do anything in the passing game. And when that’s the case, game plans don’t matter. Alabama blew it all up.

On the other side of the ball, the Tide dictated tempo and ran it through Ole Miss with a very healthy Brian Robinson. I knew the 3-2-6 hadn’t been tested in the run game, but I didn’t realize just how badly Alabama would use that to decide everything. That set up Bryce Young with a ton of time and plenty of options.

Next week feels massively big for program momentum. A win and everything calms back down in year two of the ascension. A loss and it’s 0-2 in the SEC and a feeling that maybe Arkansas is on a quicker trajectory.

The Razorbacks are going to try to do what Alabama did, with a ground game that holds the ball and dominates line of scrimmage. It’s a gut-check week for the Rebels.

I thought Matt Corral was fine on Saturday. He had no time to get the ball down the field, and he didn’t get a lot of help. The one pass down the field in the first half I remember, I’m pretty sure someone ran the wrong route.

10 consecutive touchdowns at one point for Alabama dating back to last year’s game.

Ole Miss suffered from two blown calls when it was somewhat still a game — the late hit not called on Donatrio Drummond and the missed intentional grounding — but frankly the Rebels didn’t play well enough to make that much of a talking point. It didn’t change anything. The late hit is the one where I wonder if it at least would have settled things a touch. The win-loss outcome isn’t different, but that was the splice point of the onslaught.

Jadon Jackson most benefited from Jonathan Mingo’s injury, and he played OK. The Rebels missed Mingo’s physicality against that secondary that tackles well.

For Ole Miss, at least Arch didn’t have an Alabama cap on.

Henry Parrish ran hard, and Snoop Conner should play a little in the first halves of games. But Ole Miss averaged fewer than two yards per carry. It was nothingness in the run game. The OL struggle was in all facets.

Alabama wasn’t nearly as good then, but this reminded me a little of the 2002 game when Ole Miss was 5-1 (2-0) headed to Tuscaloosa and got popped.

Had you told me Matt was going to complete 80 percent of his passes and not have an interception, I would have been really fooled. Chase Rogers being the leading receiver would have been the flag for concern. All those stats are true.

Braylon with a couple drops today including that deep ball that should have been caught early in the second half.

Ole Miss didn’t quit. Credit for that. Now the work begins for next week. Just a huge game.

That's 16 straight games with a passing touchdown for Corral.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.