ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line Question

Beemer Boy

Two-Star Prospect
Nov 15, 2002
What is the cause or causes of the poor performance? Is it size, strength, athleticism, experience, or technique or some combination of factors?

O line has been problematic since Coach Freeze arrived. I know we've had some setbacks with injuries and it takes some time to recruit and develop players, but we are 5 games into year four and this line may be the worse yet. I know Laremy being on the sideline hurts, but Laremy plays one position of five on the line. No way should the entire line implode simply because one player is out. We should at least be a properly functioning, if not spectacular o line in year 4, with or without Laremy. Ineffective running the ball and now giving up sacks.

In my opinion, I don't see much intensity, toughness, or strength at the point of attack. 3rd or 4th and 1 yard should be at about 90%, for a good team. Us, I bet we're around 50% at those downs and distance. Could also be something schematic. I don't understand pulling a guard in the "heavy" formation when only a yard or less is needed. Seems like wasted motion, to me. I was watching the Iowa/Wisc. game yesterday. Iowa was at Wisky's two yard line or so...Their quarterback was under center and when the ball was snapped, Iowa's O linemen charged ahead like a heard of rhinos and ended up 2 yards in the endzone, with their QB right behind them. TD. That's how that's done. Tenacity and strength. Do we have that? I actually wonder...Do we even have a good ol' fashioned blocking sled at Ole Miss? Do we use it?

I think we need to question if Matt Luke is an adequate O line coach....remember this guy had been fired by us a few years ago right?

They are poorly conditioned, as evidenced by the constant injuries, but more so poorly coached.

I think they need to consider an O line coaching change if we have any chance left of this year. TAMU, LSU, MSU, and maybe even Memphis will beat us at this rate.

He was with Buttcliff when he was fired. I'm very disappointed but we also have some odd circumstances affecting the oline. Can't understand running up the middle when our line was succumbing to the rush knocking our guys around lime rag dolls. Just frustration here .

The o-line is pathetic and this is year 4 for CHF and Luke. Something has got to give..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT