ADVERTISEMENT

Ok on a positive note

zreb

All-Pro NFL
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like our offsides penalties are fewer these days.

Positive or not I just read the interview with Hilton. He says they were not comunicating very well and not working hard in practice. Does that make anyone want to puke other than myself?

Positive or not I just read the interview with Hilton. He says they were not comunicating very well and not working hard in practice. Does that make anyone want to puke other than myself?

"Ole Miss, now No. 11 in the league in scoring defense (23 points per game), seventh in total defense (357.2 yards per game) and 11th in pass defense (216 yards per game), is suffering from a lack of communication and focus."

Some believe the loss of defensive coach Tom Allen (to USF) is the reason the defense is not performing at an elite level. Time for a change? Just axin'.

Reactions: Fishing123
Making a change mid-season creates its own issues. This is something to consider at the end of the year and before spring practice. From reading various articles on the front page it sounds like some of our players believe they are invincible and are taking other teams for granted. If, like Hilton, pointed out, they are not practicing hard, not communicating with each other during the games and missing basic moves learned in high school things will get worse before they get better. If the players don't want it bad enough and the coaches can't motivate them it is really bad. I don't want to come across as being completely negative because no one thought Ole Miss would be undefeated at the end of the year. Its a long season and a tough schedule. We may be making too much of the Alabama win and the Fla. loss. We have great athlete's and coaches and we can win. Just do it!

Making a change mid-season creates its own issues. This is something to consider at the end of the year and before spring practice. From reading various articles on the front page it sounds like some of our players believe they are invincible and are taking other teams for granted. If, like Hilton, pointed out, they are not practicing hard, not communicating with each other during the games and missing basic moves learned in high school things will get worse before they get better. If the players don't want it bad enough and the coaches can't motivate them it is really bad. I don't want to come across as being completely negative because no one thought Ole Miss would be undefeated at the end of the year. Its a long season and a tough schedule. We may be making too much of the Alabama win and the Fla. loss. We have great athlete's and coaches and we can win. Just do it!
Please, let's not talk about firing coaches. Someone said Luke needs to go and this Allen guy-not sure who he was. That's Alabama talk;fire the coach for losing to Auburn. You're right Ashlin, we can win with what we have. I remember Webster deflecting a pass in the Alabama game in the end zone that looked like a pro play, and Nkemdiche is a beast. Speaks has great potential. To give up on Ole Miss is a total shame. If you love Ole Miss, you will NOT give up on them.

Reactions: Dons_a_reb
Tom Allen was the LB coach from last year. He wasn't even a coordinator, just a position coach.

In your opinion, would he have made a difference being a defensive coach?

Our lack of depth at the LB position is the biggest factor in the lack of production in the position he coached. The Defense is called by Womack. If you go back and look for post about us hiring our current Defensive Back coach, you will see that Oklahoma State fans came here congratulating us on getting a good coach but also said we would get tired of our DBs playing off 7 to 10 yards and giving up short passes. We don't have much of a pass rush. If you don't have much of a pass rush your secondary has to play tight so the line can get home. If your secondary can't play tight then your line has to get home fast. We do neither which allows teams to throw on us. They will have to decide to either man up tight and give up the occasional deep play (or always play 2 deep over the top) or we are going to continue to get nickled and dimed. We are really missing Conner right now. The good thing is this week we should be able to rest and get healthy. Memphis will be a track meet.

Our lack of depth at the LB position is the biggest factor in the lack of production in the position he coached. The Defense is called by Womack. If you go back and look for post about us hiring our current Defensive Back coach, you will see that Oklahoma State fans came here congratulating us on getting a good coach but also said we would get tired of our DBs playing off 7 to 10 yards and giving up short passes. We don't have much of a pass rush. If you don't have much of a pass rush your secondary has to play tight so the line can get home. If your secondary can't play tight then your line has to get home fast. We do neither which allows teams to throw on us. They will have to decide to either man up tight and give up the occasional deep play (or always play 2 deep over the top) or we are going to continue to get nickled and dimed. We are really missing Conner right now. The good thing is this week we should be able to rest and get healthy. Memphis will be a track meet.
Agreed. But without Conner, still it wasn't even close. Surely, Wommack sees this and will make adjustments. I say man up. I thought we addressed the lb problem with CJ and Haynes.

Tony Connor isn't the reason we lost . Ck his stats through the first games . We got pummeled and that's far different from losing a heartbreaker. We were led to believe we had a defense and come to find out we don't .

We do have a great defense . They will be back .We have too many fans that are too negetive about the lost to Florida.

Reactions: Beatlesreb
Oly that wast a loss. It was a skull dragging. Good teams don't get beat by 4 tds . Sorry man hate to break it to ya.

Reactions: Fishing123
Agreed. But without Conner, still it wasn't even close. Surely, Wommack sees this and will make adjustments. I say man up. I thought we addressed the lb problem with CJ and Haynes.

Haynes is a defensive end not a linebacker. CJ went down last game with a torn meniscus and had surgery today on it. Wommack should make adjustments but he incorporates the strengths his position coaches inform him of and we have a DB coach that prefers playing off in a zone and reacting usually just one side and the other is manned up. The problem is we don't cover the second, third and forth options that well. Outside receivers aren't really killing us that often. It's the backs, tight ends and slot receivers.

Haynes is a defensive end not a linebacker. CJ went down last game with a torn meniscus and had surgery today on it. Wommack should make adjustments but he incorporates the strengths his position coaches inform him of and we have a DB coach that prefers playing off in a zone and reacting usually just one side and the other is manned up. The problem is we don't cover the second, third and forth options that well. Outside receivers aren't really killing us that often. It's the backs, tight ends and slot receivers.
CJ Johnson is who I meant. And it seems that Denzel is underachieving.

We do have a great defense . They will be back .We have too many fans that are too negetive about the lost to Florida.

We have a defense with several outstanding players, but they are not playing well collectively. Conner's absence is huge.

Ole Miss lost 3 senior linebackers (Shackelford, Lewis, and Bryant) and 2 DB's (Prewitt and Golson). All 5 were senior players with a lot of experience which is difficult to replace.

Check Ole Miss' defensive stats against the rest of the SEC. We are in the lower half of the conference. I think we are giving up 23 points a game this year vs 13 points a game at this time last year.

We have a defense with several outstanding players, but they are not playing well collectively. Conner's absence is huge.

Ole Miss lost 3 senior linebackers (Shackelford, Lewis, and Bryant) and 2 DB's (Prewitt and Golson). All 5 were senior players with a lot of experience which is difficult to replace.

Check Ole Miss' defensive stats against the rest of the SEC. We are in the lower half of the conference. I think we are giving up 23 points a game this year vs 13 points a game at this time last year.
They were not playing well against Florida, but against Alabama, they did play well collectively. Conner's absence is huge-we got outplayed, but he wouldn't make any difference. These things happen. Still have a great team, pick up the pieces, and let's roll!

They were not playing well against Florida, but against Alabama, they did play well collectively. Conner's absence is huge-we got outplayed, but he wouldn't make any difference. These things happen. Still have a great team, pick up the pieces, and let's roll!

Vandy? Last two games, very suspect. We had Conner at Bama. Shows how much he is missed.

Knew you would post that. Not sure of the answer, except QB pressure which did not exist against UF. We ARE better than what we showed against UF, I believe.

I think we can be good, but players have to step up and fill void of the senior linebackers we lost to graduation. Someone has to be able to produce in Conner's absence. The D line I think is really good for obvious reasons. It's at LB and the DB's where we lost a lot of experience. I think we've all overestimated the ability of our D, going into the season. Hopefully they can find some answers over the next 2 weeks and finish the season strong.

Reactions: Beatlesreb
Sorry, misunderstood you. CJ Johnson went down, too, with Conner. Sometimes I get too excited about Ole Miss football. I am in denial. Oh hell! Now that changes things.

Please, let's not talk about firing coaches. Someone said Luke needs to go and this Allen guy-not sure who he was. That's Alabama talk;fire the coach for losing to Auburn. You're right Ashlin, we can win with what we have. I remember Webster deflecting a pass in the Alabama game in the end zone that looked like a pro play, and Nkemdiche is a beast. Speaks has great potential. To give up on Ole Miss is a total shame. If you love Ole Miss, you will NOT give up on them.

I hardly think that talking about replacing coaches is "giving up on Ole Miss". That's ridiculous. When there is this much talent combined with performance this bad - and "lack of focus", it's ALL about coaching.

I hardly think that talking about replacing coaches is "giving up on Ole Miss". That's ridiculous. When there is this much talent combined with performance this bad - and "lack of focus", it's ALL about coaching.
It's just one bad game. If losses persist, Ok, then there is a coaching issue considering our talent. Lack of focus? Hell, we got outplayed! Plenty of football left and we can still win the West.

Tom Allen was the LB coach from last year. He wasn't even a coordinator, just a position coach.
Wasn't Allen also special teams coach. I know he was talking to them before they took the field. Our kick return team has been average, at best, this season.

Wasn't Allen also special teams coach. I know he was talking to them before they took the field. Our kick return team has been average, at best, this season.

You are correct but as a whole our special teams are better than last year.

i believe that if you look back at the seasons that luke has been the O line coach, you will find that they have always performed very poorly. when was the last time you saw us run the ball effectively against a good team? in this league, if you can't run the ball even a little, you sure as hell are not going to be able to throw it. i watched luke play and he played abouve his stature. but he can't seem to coach a lick,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT