ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss Game Plan vs Dalvin Cook.

Feb 19, 2007
With our struggles we had at QB last season, most teams we played stacked the box trying to stop Dalvin Cook and make our average QBs try to beat them. And Cook still ran for 1700 yards even going against a stacked box most of the time. Now, with Ole Miss's talent I have no doubt that if they stack the box against Dalvin they'll have a lot of success stopping him. Then that will put it on our passing game to have to make plays against Man to Man coverage. If Deondre Francois wins our QB job in camp then I'm confident we'll get better QB play this season because he looked very good in our Spring Game and the word is he made the most of his opportunities in the Spring while Maguire was hurt.

So my question is this: Do you guys think Ole Miss will stack the box against Cook and make FSU beat them with the Pass, or do they figure they'll try to stop Cook with the Front 7 and then take away FSU's chances in the passing game? That will be fascinating to see what they decide to do.

On the other side of the ball, I think FSU will Blitz a lot against Chad Kelly. You simply can't give him time to just sit in the pocket. The downside of Blitzing is that if Kelly gets out of the Pocket he can make a lot of big plays with fewer defenders in coverage.

All the above can be answered in one statement, "We play in the SEC". That being said, we face a feature back nearly every week and play in the west so yeah we mix it up and play big boy football. FSU may poke their chest out about their record but I mean really? Come play in the west my friend. I respect the Noles program but it kills me how you think you have more talent, speed, and physicality than LSU and Alabama also the other teams in the conference. When I saw the schedule trust me now, no offense I was like ok cool. No fear has been stuck in my heart over this game for sure.

All the above can be answered in one statement, "We play in the SEC". That being said, we face a feature back nearly every week and play in the west so yeah we mix it up and play big boy football. FSU may poke their chest out about their record but I mean really? Come play in the west my friend. I respect the Noles program but it kills me how you think you have more talent, speed, and physicality than LSU and Alabama also the other teams in the conference. When I saw the schedule trust me now, no offense I was like ok cool. No fear has been stuck in my heart over this game for sure.
Who said anything about LSU or Alabama? This is about the Ole Miss/FSU game. Where in my post did I poke my chest out? Seems to me you are doing that. I would love for us to play in the SEC West. But that ain't happening and you can thank UF for that. Dalvin Cook is going to be a 1st Round Draft Pick. I don't care if he plays in the ACC. You're still going to have to Game Plan for him. He ran for 180 yards and 2 TDs against UF, which is the same rushing output Leonard Fournette had against UF and a higher rushing output than Derrick Henry had against UF. As to the SEC, FSU is 7-1 against SEC Teams since Jimbo Fisher became the Head Coach. To say how we'd do against an SEC West Schedule is speculation. What I do know is that Alabama had to rely on a fluke Onside Kick and a Kickoff Return for a TD to eke out a win against Clemson, who played the game with their two best Defensive Players out injured. What I do know is from 2013-2015 FSU set a modern day era record for most players Drafted over a three year period with 29 players drafted over that span.

So you can dismiss us and say we're going to be an easy opponent because we are in the ACC all you want. But there is very little difference between an Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss in the SEC and FSU and Clemson in the ACC.

Last edited:
Actually, there is quite a difference. In the trophy cases.

6 NCs this century to 1. (5 by Saban NONE by Ole Miss of course)

Go ahead and kiss those rings, pal.
Ok. I'll give you that Alabama has won more National Championships recently which means that overall they've been more successful. What I am talking about is who has more talent? Also who would win if the teams play and whether the game would be competitive? Who puts more people in the NFL? Every starter from our 2013 National Championship team is currently in the NFL. There is very little difference between the teams in that regard. But it will eventually get settled on the field when we play you guys to open the 2017 season.

Ok. I'll give you that Alabama has won more National Championships recently which means that overall they've been more successful. What I am talking about is who has more talent? Also who would win if the teams play and whether the game would be competitive? Who puts more people in the NFL? Every starter from our 2013 National Championship team is currently in the NFL. There is very little difference between the teams in that regard. But it will eventually get settled on the field when we play you guys to open the 2017 season.

There is no doubt that FSU has a ton of talent. Bama has lost out on several recruits to FSU. However, we will never know how FSU would fare if they had to play an SEC schedule, week in and week out. I don't think you would argue which league is better overall. FSU can compete with anyone in a one game scenario. But I don't think it's a coincidence that the SEC won 7 straight NCs and now 8 of the last 10. Auburn pulled the biggest choke job in NC game history or it would have been 8 in a row. Props to FSU for ending the streak.

Yes, the 2017 game will be a lot of fun.

Reactions: billywaynebama
SmidiyNole..I would like to answer this good question with out it being hi-jacked by these other trolls.

I think your analysis is dead on. Last year we were pretty good against the run. We stopped LF of LSU pretty well without stacking the box. We do not have RK, but actually some of us think that Breeland Speaks is better. The big question against the run is what kind of play we get at MIKE linebacker. That is an unknown. If the transfer from Oregon State is as good as advertised, maybe we will be ok.

Offensively, it comes down to left tackle. Greg Little was the so called number one HS left tackle in the nation last year, but we all know there is a big difference between HS and college. I have full confidence in Chad Kelly. Maybe too much. Towards the end of last season, he was the best QB in the country. We also have a fleet of receivers for him to throw to.

I think the game comes down to this. Does FSU have QB play that will take the heat off of Cook, and can OM's left tackle play be adequate enough for Chad Kelly to light it up early in the season.

The other variable is who is ready to play and who does not turn the ball over. I will be there and am looking forward to it.

SmidiyNole..I would like to answer this good question with out it being hi-jacked by these other trolls.

I think your analysis is dead on. Last year we were pretty good against the run. We stopped LF of LSU pretty well without stacking the box. We do not have RK, but actually some of us think that Breeland Speaks is better. The big question against the run is what kind of play we get at MIKE linebacker. That is an unknown. If the transfer from Oregon State is as good as advertised, maybe we will be ok.

Offensively, it comes down to left tackle. Greg Little was the so called number one HS left tackle in the nation last year, but we all know there is a big difference between HS and college. I have full confidence in Chad Kelly. Maybe too much. Towards the end of last season, he was the best QB in the country. We also have a fleet of receivers for him to throw to.

I think the game comes down to this. Does FSU have QB play that will take the heat off of Cook, and can OM's left tackle play be adequate enough for Chad Kelly to light it up early in the season.

The other variable is who is ready to play and who does not turn the ball over. I will be there and am looking forward to it.
We have a good QB named Deondre Francois who will be a Redshirt Freshman. He was the #1 Dual Threat QB by Rivals in the 2015 class. Most of us are hoping he beats Sean Maguire out. But you know how it is with young QBs. They can make boneheaded decisions out there. Ole Miss will have the edge with a talented yet experienced Chad Kelly. We are hoping Francois is talented enough to somewhat negate that advantage. But hay a way it would be to get thrown into the fire than to play a Top 10 team in Ole Miss with the whole nation watching for your first start if it comes to that?

Mr. Nole,

You make good points. Nice post.

All respect to you, but I imagine our coaches are studying that Peach Bowl tape closely. Houston found something.

There is no doubt that FSU has a ton of talent. Bama has lost out on several recruits to FSU. However, we will never know how FSU would fare if they had to play an SEC schedule, week in and week out. I don't think you would argue which league is better overall. FSU can compete with anyone in a one game scenario. But I don't think it's a coincidence that the SEC won 7 straight NCs and now 8 of the last 10. Auburn pulled the biggest choke job in NC game history or it would have been 8 in a row. Props to FSU for ending the streak.

Yes, the 2017 game will be a lot of fun.
Exactly my point. If you go and look at Bama's past recruiting class and FSU's as well you'll see a ton of guys we wanted that you got and a ton of guys you wanted that we got. To add to that there are a ton of recruits that were down to FSU/Bama as their Top 2 some of whom Bama got and some of whom we got. Couple with that both coaching staffs can really develop players. That is why the 2017 game should be a lot of fun.

Mr. Nole,

You make good points. Nice post.

All respect to you, but I imagine our coaches are studying that Peach Bowl tape closely. Houston found something.
Houston outplayed us. Just like Memphis outplayed you guys. Some of those Group of 5 teams are damn good teams and could compete in Power 5 leagues.

SchmidtyNole...in fairness I do not think that your team wanted to play Houston as bad as Houston wanted to play FSU. BTW.....I heard that the Peach Bowl said that they would never ever invite Houston back again. The fans were horrible, spent no money and tore the place up.

SchmidtyNole...in fairness I do not think that your team wanted to play Houston as bad as Houston wanted to play FSU. BTW.....I heard that the Peach Bowl said that they would never ever invite Houston back again. The fans were horrible, spent no money and tore the place up.
Well I didn't go to the Peach Bowl so I'm not sure about how their fans were. But it wouldn't surprise me. As for Houston, Sean Maguire broke his leg in the 1st quarter. He missed three series and the backup played horrible. Then he came back in and played on a broken leg. So that didn't help. But Houston is a good team. They beat Vanderbilt 34-0. Not that Vandy is great or anything but Vandy did play some teams tough last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT