ADVERTISEMENT

On campus fight - need your input

WL3

Four-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2002
Assume you are an Ole Miss male freshman, second night in your dorm, completely sober and playing ping pong in your dorm lobby. Another freshman, obviously drunken with 5 friends walks in . You’ve never met him, don’t know his name, and haven’t said anything to offend him. His friends circle around you as he gets up in your face, almost nose to nose. And he’s bigger than you. You are taken aback and fearful. You ask him “are you trying to fight me”? He says “yes”. Realizing that a fight is imminent, you decide not to flee and take the elevator to your room because the other guy and his friends could hop on it and beat the shit out of you on the elevator. You decide that if a fight is going to happen then it’s going to go down in a relatively public place in case it gets out of control. You know a punch is coming but you don’t know the other guy and what he may be capable of, so you decide to throw the first lick, and do so.

If you are an entering male freshman at Ole Miss do you have to take the first punch or are you entitled to proactively defend yourself?

This actually happened to my youngest son who is a freshman, last week, and I’m not misrepresenting the facts. My son has never fought outside a controlled environment, meaning a MMA gym as he is MMA trained. The other guy was drunk and chose to pick on the wrong kid. UPD investigated and didn’t charge my son with anything, but there are bureaucrats at Ole Miss who need to justify a paycheck so it’s now a University “disciplinary matter.” Go figure.

2 thoughts:

1. Ole Miss has too much money if it can waist it by pretending to be a quasi- judicial body. Give it to the football program for God’s sake.

2. Since the same “other guy” kid tried to fight another student the day before and apparently gets off on drunken brawling, Ole Miss needs to scrutinize out-of-staters harder, despite its lust for double tuition.

Appreciate your honest response to the question, since it may inform my warpath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.