ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: On Dallas Woolfolk (not bad news)

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Some people are asking about the quotes he gave the media today. I hadn't decided what to do with them because complete context wasn't there, and I thought just the quotes were confusing in a content item. So here's the gist of it best I can tell and know.

Dallas said today he talked to his coach from summer ball, and the guy helped him over the phone with some mechanical stuff that is making Dallas feel like he's more consistent. He also said velocity is down but he's not worried about that. He just wants to pitch consistently and not throw.

As we've talked about, Dallas has been 89-91 since Christmas instead of the mid 90s from last season. He was sharp intrasquads and then when the season got here -- in my opinion -- he panicked and tried to throw harder so he overthrew, lost consistency and went from sharp at 91 to not so sharp at 91.

He mentioned the summer coach today, but he's been searching. Lafferty has worked with him all spring, Bianco has worked with him this week and there's some optimism around that. Then he took the call from the summer coach. Last month he said he was repaired because of a conversation with Lance McCullers.

Point being: Dallas is searching for confidence right now, and he's believing in the fixes and tinkering and hoping one of them is the answer to lost form. He had gained weight over Christmas and he looks like he's lost most of that, so maybe his extension and composition are back to old levels. I know he has to chill out and just pitch without overthrowing. But the quote and corresponding summer coach help is his latest hope that it's the answer. I hope it is. He's a great kid, and he's clearly not the same pitcher right now.

But I didn't know what to do with the quotes because they required all this context and I wasn't putting that in story form.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.