ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: On Elko (sort of, not really an update)

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
As you know by now, Tim Elko suffered a knee injury trying to avoid the UNA first baseman on a throwing error last night. He left the game without putting weight on the leg, though he could put some weight on it in the dugout. They performed a drawer test in the dugout to check ACL stability and then he returned to the dugout on crutches and with a knee brace.

The MRI is today, and I don't know if the results will leak out or Mike will update after the game tonight. I talked to several medical people last night -- physical therapists, orthopedic surgeons, etc -- and the opinions from just watching the video were that while there wasn't the amount of twisting that usual accompanies an ACL injury, the rest of the signs pointed to that. Mike wouldn't comment on the preliminary tests, but there's not been much optimism from around the program.

Ryves Moore, an orthopedic surgeon, who we've had on the podcast before, said "Classic ACL injury pattern: noncontac, twisting injury. Next concern is associated meniscus or cartilage injuries that can have a more profound effect on long term outcomes and return to play."

Let me repeat: I'm not reporting an ACL injury. I have no idea what I'm looking at. But that was the common theme among the experts I checked with who had seen the video. Also, typically ligament damage involves multiple ligaments. It's not as common to just mess up one ligament.

More when I know it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.