ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: On the LSU coaching search...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Simply put, it's a bit of a shitshow. There are multiple factions fighting over preferred candidates, and I don't know who is going to win that one. Pat Casey was a legitimate candidate, BUT only if public scrutiny seemed to be tolerable, and it absolutely wasn't. It was a flamethrower as soon as he was connected to that job. He's not hirable. Especially with what LSU is dealing with from a Title IX standpoint.

I was on the phone a long time last night trying to figure out where that search is currently, and I talked to people connected to at least three schools, including LSU. The only two names I can get any traction on are Mike Bianco and Cliff Godwin. If it's someone besides those two that LSU currently wants, I don't know the name, and none of the people I talked to do either. Cliff has always been on the periphery and in this search to some extent, and it seems like a lot of the O'Sulllivan backers have shifted to Godwin.

Mike has been a favorite of the group led by Skip Bertman, and that remains the case. Just like the other day, I have zero idea if Mike has interest in the job or not. LSU thinks he would take it, but that's not exactly news that LSU boosters think someone wants their job. I'm obviously working on it as needed, and I don't even know if I'm reporting anything as much as telling you what I'm hearing. But after a couple hours of phone calls, those are the only two names with any current traction in Baton Rouge. Mike remains a candidate on the LSU side of things.

We'll see where it goes from here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.