ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Need some advice

Cate

SEC Player of the Year
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
My son worked for a small (two employees) turf management/landscaping business in Memphis. Without going into a lot of detail, the promise of full time work and overtime which he had to have did not materialize, he was not paid what was promised and part of his wages were withheld until the employer saw fit to pay him. It caused a severe financial hardship, and when he was offered a better job, he took it. Due to other circumstances invovling the other employee who had been applying and found another job, my son waited for this guy's application to be completed before he gave notice. So, instead of two week's notice, he gave about a week. The employer was so infuritated that he refused to pay my son for the time he did work for that pay period. He even wrote my son an e-mail and told him that he was not going to pay him, but he was going to pay the other guy. ? ? It was a strange e-mail. My son contacted the labor dept and they said the business was too small for them to address his grievance. In other words, the guy is going to get away with not paying him. The amount is around $442.00. Question is. is there any legal recourse that he can take and would it cost more than the amount owed. My son lives in Mississippi (Hernando). This is hourly, not salaried. Not out for retribution here, but would like to get what he earned. For those of you working for a company with less than 5 employees and does not gross more than $250,000 this could happen to you, especiallly if you have experienced difficulties with them. Should he just let this slide? Anybody had this happen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.