ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shaming re: Grammar and Spelling

pcrebel

SEC Player of the Year
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
I hope I'm not alone here. Please let me know your opinion on this subject:

Can we go back to publicly shaming people for blatantly misspelling words and blatant grammatical errors? I have had two instances of horrible misspelled words and grammar crimes in the last three days where I held back from commenting:

The first one was on Facebook. An idiot who I know posted the following "paragraph" (if you can call it that). This is exactly how he typed it:
"So, Yes. I have picked up the flue this year. Has anyone had it yet? This is not really what I remember. I have not had it since, I was a child. I have been sick but not enough to be in bed for days. How long does this last?"
Yes, you read that correctly. He actually came down with the flue, not the flu or influenza. He has the flue. On top of that he put a comma after the word "since." Also he capitalized Yes after a comma. Is he directing this line of questioning to that horrible band, Yes? I'm confused.

The second was here. Did someone really misspell Oklahoma in a subject line? "Oaklohoma" is really bad.

I'm not certain when 'the internet' began calling people out for being grammar police and spelling police online. I believe we should reverse our course. I feel we should really point out people's blatant mistakes. We should allow them a few chances to correct themselves and politely point out their mistakes. Please understand we can forgive auto-corrections and simple little things, but anyone writing that they have caught the "flue" or writing about "Oaklohoma" should be a perfect candidate for the new way of the internet: Start with proper, polite correction followed by public ridicule in the comments on Facebook and the message board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News