ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thunder Over Columbus…Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Camping in the Golden Triangle

pcrebel

SEC Player of the Year
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
My son’s Cub Scout pack had an unofficial campout along the Tom Bigbee River over the weekend. We went to the Thunder Over Columbus air show Saturday at the Columbus Air Force Base. If you have never been to an air show, I highly recommend it. They started flying around 11 and I don’t think we left until after 4:30. It was amazing. The F-35 might be the loudest thing I have ever heard in my life. I was able to walk into an Osprey. I touched an Apache. My son climbed into a Huey. I saw A-10 Warthogs. We saw the Air Force Thunderbirds. This was one of the coolest spectacles I have ever been too. And it was free to enter. So cool. We had to miss the game but that was OK. I would drive down there again for that show. Would I camp in the woods outside Columbus? Only if the weather was better. Too damn hot.

If anyone from the school reads this, next time we have a big game and can get a flyover, try to get the Thunderbirds or maybe get 4 F-16s and have them break formation over the stadium for maximum effect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.