ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Players Spring Plans if No Decision?

Olemaha

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2022
I feel like we are entering into uncharted waters with the portal. Some of these schools that are supposedly still on the hunt for players in this spring cycle have had classes in session for nearly 3 weeks now. I know there are late adds that can be done in athletic friendly academic departments but it seems a little late in the game to handle all the logistics with getting a player from point a to point b. Tennessee started classes Monday and Ohio State has multiple sessions available in spring with different start dates. Those are the two schools I know of that have big money to spend and look to still have a reasonable window for transferring players.

If a player is currently in transfer portal and decides to wait until after spring to sign somewhere, does the school they’re at still allow them to go through spring practice with them and honor their scholarship to pay for their coursework? My initial thought is they will go as far as honoring the scholarship for the player because they don’t want a bad reputation within the player community. But, do you allow a player that has given you no reassurances they will commit to your program to participate in your spring practices?

Maybe all will shake out by Friday. We’ll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.