ADVERTISEMENT

Proud Dad: Recruiting Related: TE- Pete Moore - Long Read

OleCarWeezy

4-Year Starter
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2008
TL;DR: Big TE from down the road in Amory- Pete Moore - His background and Hudl at the Bottom

I have been a long time member- 14 years I believe, mostly a lurker, have attempted to inject some light hearted humor from time to time, but overall just try to keep up with the Rebels and the group therapy / anger management that goes on here. I have been a recruiting nerd for a long time. Could basically spout off the depth chart with Heights/ Weights/ Hometowns for our team and most of the players we ever recruited and where they ended up. Yes, it's a sickness haha My activity level has been extremely reduced over the last 9 months because the script has been flipped and instead of reading about the knuckleheads Ole Miss is chasing, I've been driving my own 17 year old around the Country chasing his dreams.

I have debated posting anything here because history will show Dad's of recruits/players on the internets rarely mix well (i.e. Sean Patterson) haha But to be honest I'm well conditioned with thick skin and I've been here so long this is more of a dysfunctional extension of my family than anything. I feel like you all would be proud of a local Mississippi kid and take pride in it with us.

My son (stepson) is Pete Moore- TE 6'5" 235lbs from Amory, MS. He moved to Mississippi when I married his mom when he was in the 8th grade. Originally from Arkansas. His mom has raised him as a rabid Razorback much like herself. It took him some time to adjust to life in MS. He has always been an athletic kid, super competitive, big for his age, but dealt with not making the baseball or basketball team in the 9th grade (if you know Amory, for all it's good parts, its tough for a kid with an unknown name to get a chance). So he kinda just laid off for a while, pissed off at the World.

The summer between his 9th grade year and 10th, he ran away with his granddad up in the mountains of Arkansas. When he came home he had grown 5 inches over the summer! And he was ready to play Football haha Well, I explained it to him that the team had been working out all summer and he wasn't going to be able to just walk up and join the team. So we spoke with the Coaches, and as expected, they weren't taking players 2 weeks out from the first game. So he asked if he could just help out as a manager. The Coach agreed and along with normal Manager duties day to day, he ran the video camera during games. If you want to know what torture is to a teenager, hand them a video camera and tell them they have to sit still for 3-4 hours and record a game they can't play in. That may have been the most valuable and humbling season of his life. He had to learn humility, hard work, and service. He also made relationships with the Coaches before he ever suited up.

He joined the team after that season and jumped right into offseason workouts. Although tall, he was waaaayyy behind in the weight room, but credit to him, he embraced the work. He was put at OT as a member of an offensive line that was pretty stacked for a HS team. He had trouble finding a role. His Junior Season he was a backup OLineman that spent more time playing with the JV than the Varsity. It didn't help that i was gone for the entire year for work up to Maryland. So coming out of his Junior Season he was already talking with Marine recruiters. He had his mind set on joining the military. As offseason workouts progressed, he got stronger and worked his ass off. He got moved to TE progressed quickly! They played their Spring game and he had a couple catches and showed some pretty good blocking ability. It wasn't long after that he got his first Letter from a College- and that really changed everything.

In retrospect i now realize that letter was likely a mass mailing hahaha but it sounded personal and it was from a small NAIA school up in Arkansas and they wanted him to come to their camp in the summer. We hadn't even considered playing football at the next level as an option really. it had been a dream, but circumstances really hadn't played out to support that. Nonetheless, i had made it home after the long year away, we discussed hitting some camps just to help him develop for his Senior season as a new TE. Also a chance for us to road trip and bond some. Well that one camp invite snowballed into 16 camp stops about 10,000 miles of driving and him working out sometimes twice a day in the summer heat in front of hundreds of College Coaches. Also, competing against nationally ranked and recruited guys and he held his own pretty good! I'm biased, but a lot of times we would look back at who he was there with and be like holy cow, that guy is ranked has these crazy offers. So it was a valuable experience really. Gave him a ton of confidence and helped him develop better technique. In that setting it also didn't matter at that moment he had no film really, they could see his athleticism and ability. Big body moving around snatching balls out of the air. Got the ball rolling in a lot of directions.

So, before he even started his first High School football game, he had earned his first College Offer from Ave Maria University down in South Florida- NAIA School. Never heard of it? Me either. I realized quickly there is a whole World of schools out there where kids get a chance to continue play football everyday. From there it just got crazy. When you have no expectations and you are willing to consider any level of opportunity you soon realize there are plenty of places to play football out there. A kid with his size alone and any athletic ability he was getting swarmed. So going from just hoping to have a chance to accepting, hey you are going to have a shot to play college ball was an exciting time and then actually setting some criteria and standards.

By the time Amory hit the field for his Senior season they had a really talented group. An all Senior Offensive Line with guys that are also College football talent leading the way for Rufus French's son Charleston. They were fun to watch! They had a really good season. Ended up 8-4 and got upset first round of the playoffs by Independence in a last minute heart breaker. I was very proud of the way he played, and also the way he grew into a Leader of his team! Week in and week out they played physical and relentless and I can assure you the other team knew they were in a fight.

Week to week during the season he was getting invites to schools on unofficial visits for Games. As the season went along the profile of the schools has grown. We found ourselves de-conflicting and wrestling with multiple options each week. It is a struggle. He was getting pressure, we were trying to be the voice of reason. I have no idea how kids without any adult counsel survive in this World.

All of this to say.... it has been and continues to be a crazy roller coaster ride. It started with Ave Maria - several NAIA, D3, D2 schools and as of the past couple of weeks he has opportunities as a PWO at Louisville, West Virginia, Boston College, NC State, UAB, Toledo, and Old Dominion. Also, steady FCS scholarship interest from Samford and UT Martin. Quality Division 2 options at Missouri Western and West Florida.

None of that accounts for the NUMEROUS amounts of Coaches that have followed him, reached out to say hey i love your film, hows things going... just enough to get your hopes up and then never return again haha... it is a daily roller coaster.

We are still in somewhat of shock from it all. We still have hope a FBS offer comes through, but to be honest we are blessed he will have the opportunity to continue playing and get his education. Our grandslam has always been a Service Academy. He had the opportunity to work out in front of Army and Air Force. They loved him, we were super stoked, but he is just shy on his ACT to move forward. I'd love for him to be a REBEL, but not sure he fits the "WR we can put Weight on" profile they have been recruiting. Additionally, Arkansas is a bit of a $hit$how right now. Fingers crossed the new Coach is behind the 8 ball and needs to fill up a class and the boy gets a chance with his favorite team. Never know. He will be steady hustling riding this thing until signing day comes!

His twitter feed has been somewhat of his traveling log so if you are interested in digging through or tracking him down the road follow @pcmoore78 you can see some of the highlights from along the way!

His mom and I are super proud. He is a great kid and i don't just say that because he is mine. This process along with fighting through football season has helped him mature and he has turned into a great young man. Excited for what the future has in store for him. thanks for reading if you made it this far! i'll attach his Hudl for you guys if you are interested, please take a look!

#HOTTYTODDY

Condensed: 4:30

Extended Directors Cut: 8:50

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.