ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Stansberry

Johnnyreb2

Rookie
Feb 5, 2015
Why did he leave MSU to be an assistant at Texas AM? Did he just want to retire or was there more to it? It just seemed odd for him to step down from being a head coach to come back as an assistant

Being an Assistant at A&M is a higher profile gig than being the head coach at MSU.

He was fired at State but hung around as a "consultant" for a year. He knows the AAU coaches and has brought in some top recruits to Texas A&M. They can afford to pay players more.

Stansbury was run out of Starkville. Stansbury put together some excellent classes, but ultimately he lost control of his players. Also didn't help that he didn't make the tourney in his last three years.

Stansbury was said to have "retired" and consult for the program. There were some rumors about his health as well and he had younger kids, you'd always see them on TV at every game.

He'll be a head coach again, but when he leaves he'll completely expose Billy Kennedy. If Tyndall gets run off, Stansbury will probably be decked out in orange. Don't see Stansbury going to Bama should Grant get fired.

Stansbury's recruiting has been reputed to be full of promises not exactly met (it's sort of like the movie 'Bedazzled'). He can coach well when he has coachable players, but he didn't have that in his final years at Miss State. He'll have 2-3 good years and then follow it up with one year where the team has zero identity.

Thanks for the info. He would kill me how he would add an s to words that were already plural like freshmens. It was just odd to me to see him on A&M's bench as an assistant. I knew there had to be more to it than he was just retiring at state

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT