ADVERTISEMENT

Received this in an email

zreb

All-Pro NFL
Feb 27, 2002
2024 potential roster breakdown

By oxfordrebel22

I know there’s a lot of water yet to flow under the bridge, but I wanted to just look at where we are currently in terms of 2023 roster versus expected 2024 roster. I’ll look at each position group, and would love others input.

A couple notes, first:
1. I will absolutely miss some guys, so I’m acknowledging that on front end. I’m not gonna spend time going back and forth between roster and signing class, etc. I’ll get it mostly right, hopefully.
2. I’m assuming Walter Nolen is part of the team. Everything I’ve heard from every single contact or public resource (such as this board) has been positive regarding OM and Nolen.
3. Yes, I understand the roster will change a good bit, still. We’ll have 5+ guys transfer after bowl game, in all likelihood. And we will bring in 5+ more transfers in spring.
4. I’m making some assumptions on guys staying, such as Dart and Judkins. But they are educated assumptions.
5. If there’s a parentheses by an incoming guys name, it’s the school he’s transferring in from. No school listed means high school or JUCO signee, obviously.

So, with all that being said, where did we get better, where did we potentially get worse, and where did we hold serve?

QUARTERBACK:

Outgoing - Spencer Sanders

Incoming - Anthony Maddox

Key guys returning - Jaxson Dart, Walker Howard, Austin Simmons

Prediction - BETTER

No I don’t think Maddox is a better QB in 2024 than Sanders would be. But getting Dart back for a 3rd year is GIGANTIC. It’s the first time Kiffin will have a 3rd year starter in his career. That experience and knowledge of the system is incalculably valuable. Also, we go into 2024 with a very clear leader in the locker room, in Dart. If he can make a jump 60% as good from year 2 to 3 as he did from 1 to 2, then LOOK OUT!

Also, I think Walker Howard and Austin Simmons are both just crazy talented. So another year of development is big there.

RUNNING BACK:

Outgoing - ?? Likely nobody

Incoming - also likely no one

Key guys returning - Quinshon Judkins, Ulysses Bentley, Keedrick Reescano

Prediction - HELD SERVE

After the Kewan Lacy deal, maybe we add a portal RB, but unless someone leaves, I think we stay the same. And another year of Judkins and Bentley and year 2 Reescano is a net positive. The answer is probably that we’ll be slightly better, but I’ll go with held serve.

WIDE RECEIVER:

Outgoing - Dayton Wade, Bralon Brown, Larry Simmons, Jeremiah Dillon, JJ Henry, Rayf Vinson

Incoming - Deion Smith, Juice Wells (South Carolina), Noreel White, Marquis Willis, Stonka Burnside (possibly)

Key guys returning - Tre Harris, Jordan Watkins, Ayden Williams, Cayden Lee

Prediction - MUCH BETTER

Wade is a loss and a fan favorite! But getting Tre Harris and Jordan Watkins back along with Ayden Williams and then Juice Wells, an already proven 1,000 yard receiver in the SEC. And then Deion Smith the #1 overall JUCO player and WR. A guy who played at LSU as a true freshman. A guy who our own David Johnson says may be the most talented WR he’s ever covered, and he covered Treadwell, Moncrief, DK, AJ, Elijah Moore, etc. And then on top of that you throw in Marquis Willis who’s a freak athlete and may be the surprise of the entire class, and blue chipper Noreel White. A dynamic athlete.

Once you factor in Tre Harris and Watkins being healthy going into next season.. this may be a top 3 nationally WR room.

TIGHT END:

Outgoing - Kyrin Heath

Incoming - Dillon Hipp

Key guys returning - Caden Prieskorn, Hudson Wolfe, Javontay Conner

Prediction: BETTER

Year 2 of a healthy Prieskorn is huge. Our offense was so much better when he was on the field. Wolfe being a year removed from his long awaited return is a good thing. And the staff is super high on Conner and Hipp’s potential.

OFFENSIVE LINE:

Outgoing - Victor Curne, Quincy McGee, Cedrick Nicely, Cedric Melton

Incoming - Gerquan Scott (Southern Miss), John Wayne Oliver, Kavion Broussard, Jude Foster, Percy Lewis (hopeful - Miss State)

Key guys returning - Jeremy James (hopeful), Caleb Warren (hopeful), Micah Pettus, Jayden Williams, Eli Acker, Preston Cushman, Brycen Sanders, Reece McIntyre, Cam East

Prediction: SLIGHTLY BETTER

I think our OL was better than they got credit for. Not elite, but good. Those RPO blocking schemes are hard to evaluate when you don’t know the actual play called. But if we can get Warren and James back to go along with Pettus at RT, then our right side of line will be very good. I think Gerquan Scott is a plug and play starter at LG unless a guy like Brycen Sanders or Preston Cushman takes it from him, which would be a good problem to have. Percy Lewis is intriguing, Jayden Williams has been a good starting LT in SEC already, and they’re really high on Cam East’s potential and frame. We may add a proven LT from portal in spring, still, too.

DEFENSIVE LINE:

Outgoing - Jamond Gordon, Isaac Ukwu, Cedric Johnson, Stephon Wynn

Incoming - Walter Nolen (Texas A&M) Princely Umanmielen (Florida), Tyler Baron (Tennessee), William Echoles, Kam Franklin, Jeffrey Rush, Kamron Beavers

Key guys returning - JJ Pegues, Zxavian Harris, Jared Ivey, Akelo Stone, Joshua Harris

Prediction: MUCH BETTER

That’s a DOMINANT defensive line that Golding and Joyner are going to roll out there. Bringing back those key guys and then adding the clear cut top 3 defensive linemen out of the portal. All 3 of which are proven SEC guys. It’s just hard to believe, honestly. It’s taking a decent DL group and turning it into one of the top 5 in the country. Teams are going to be surprised at how much trouble this Ole Miss defensive front is going to give them next year. I can’t wait to watch them.

LINEBACKERS:

Outgoing - Ashanti Cistrunk, Khari Coleman, Monty Montgomery, Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste, Reginald Hughes

Incoming - Chris “Pooh” Paul (Arkansas), Raymond Collins, Cameron Clark

Keys guys returning - Suntarine Perkins, TJ Dudley (could be listed in “incoming”), Tyler Banks, Trip White

I think Perkins is poised to have a monster sophomore season, and we know Paul is a proven SEC LB. TJ Dudley and Raymond Collins are the guys that could really push this unit from good to very good. Go watch Collins film.. that dude isn’t a normal JUCO signee. He’s like Deion Smith, he can flat play. And our improved DL will help them run a lot cleaner and freer, as well.

Cornerbacks:

Outgoing - Deantre Prince, Zamari Walton, Demarko Williams, Deshawn Gaddie

Incoming - Decamarion Richardson (Miss State),Taz Nicholson (Illinois), Cedrick Beavers, Travaris Banks, Patrick Broomfield

Key guys returning - Chris Graves, AJ Brown, Nick Cull, Jarell Stinson

Prediction: HELD SERVE

I think we stayed about the same here. Maybe lean slightly better if forced to choose. I really like Taz Nicholson a lot! Most underrated pickup in my mind. And Decam Richardson graded out really well, like top 5 in SEC well. But his core stats do concern me a touch.. it’s hard to read too much into stats for a CB, but not having an INT in 4 seasons (2 as a primary CB) is concerning. And you can read whatever you want into him being a leading tackler. A pessimist would say it’s because he gave up so many receptions. An optimist would say it’s because he’s physical and not afraid to stick his nose in and hit you. Cedrick Beavers is a high level athlete who can help us as a nickel corner, immediately. And I think this is the year AJ Brown and Nick Cull both breakout. But Prince, Walton and Gaddie are 3 good players, and we’ll miss them.

Safety’s:

Outgoing - Isheem Young, Daijahn Anthony, Teja Young, Jaylen Knox

Incoming - Tamarion McDonald (Tennessee), Louis Moore (Indiana), Andy Jaffe, Shamar Darden, Katrevick Banks, Anthony Robinson, Wesley Walker (hopeful - Tennessee)

Keys guys returning - Trey Washington, Ladarius Tennison, John Saunders (hopefully), Taylor Groves, Daniel Demery, Jadon Canady

This presumes that Saunders returns, but otherwise Anthony is the only guy leaving that played meaningful snaps late in the season. McDonald and Moore are instant impact plug and play starter caliber players at Safety. If we add Walker, he’s an immediate two deeper, too. Washington, Saunders and Tennison were already very good this year. So we’d be 6 deep there, at minimum. I’ve also heard great things about Groves and Demery, they were just true freshmen last year. And Canady was brought in to be a versatile CB/S who’d already played at a high level at Tulane. He was just hurt last year, but they knew that. They felt his talent was good enough to bring him in anyways, similar to Dudley at LB. We could mess around at Safety and be dang good.

Reactions: Daddy Bebo
2024 potential roster breakdown

By oxfordrebel22

I know there’s a lot of water yet to flow under the bridge, but I wanted to just look at where we are currently in terms of 2023 roster versus expected 2024 roster. I’ll look at each position group, and would love others input.

A couple notes, first:
1. I will absolutely miss some guys, so I’m acknowledging that on front end. I’m not gonna spend time going back and forth between roster and signing class, etc. I’ll get it mostly right, hopefully.
2. I’m assuming Walter Nolen is part of the team. Everything I’ve heard from every single contact or public resource (such as this board) has been positive regarding OM and Nolen.
3. Yes, I understand the roster will change a good bit, still. We’ll have 5+ guys transfer after bowl game, in all likelihood. And we will bring in 5+ more transfers in spring.
4. I’m making some assumptions on guys staying, such as Dart and Judkins. But they are educated assumptions.
5. If there’s a parentheses by an incoming guys name, it’s the school he’s transferring in from. No school listed means high school or JUCO signee, obviously.

So, with all that being said, where did we get better, where did we potentially get worse, and where did we hold serve?

QUARTERBACK:

Outgoing - Spencer Sanders

Incoming - Anthony Maddox

Key guys returning - Jaxson Dart, Walker Howard, Austin Simmons

Prediction - BETTER

No I don’t think Maddox is a better QB in 2024 than Sanders would be. But getting Dart back for a 3rd year is GIGANTIC. It’s the first time Kiffin will have a 3rd year starter in his career. That experience and knowledge of the system is incalculably valuable. Also, we go into 2024 with a very clear leader in the locker room, in Dart. If he can make a jump 60% as good from year 2 to 3 as he did from 1 to 2, then LOOK OUT!

Also, I think Walker Howard and Austin Simmons are both just crazy talented. So another year of development is big there.

RUNNING BACK:

Outgoing - ?? Likely nobody

Incoming - also likely no one

Key guys returning - Quinshon Judkins, Ulysses Bentley, Keedrick Reescano

Prediction - HELD SERVE

After the Kewan Lacy deal, maybe we add a portal RB, but unless someone leaves, I think we stay the same. And another year of Judkins and Bentley and year 2 Reescano is a net positive. The answer is probably that we’ll be slightly better, but I’ll go with held serve.

WIDE RECEIVER:

Outgoing - Dayton Wade, Bralon Brown, Larry Simmons, Jeremiah Dillon, JJ Henry, Rayf Vinson

Incoming - Deion Smith, Juice Wells (South Carolina), Noreel White, Marquis Willis, Stonka Burnside (possibly)

Key guys returning - Tre Harris, Jordan Watkins, Ayden Williams, Cayden Lee

Prediction - MUCH BETTER

Wade is a loss and a fan favorite! But getting Tre Harris and Jordan Watkins back along with Ayden Williams and then Juice Wells, an already proven 1,000 yard receiver in the SEC. And then Deion Smith the #1 overall JUCO player and WR. A guy who played at LSU as a true freshman. A guy who our own David Johnson says may be the most talented WR he’s ever covered, and he covered Treadwell, Moncrief, DK, AJ, Elijah Moore, etc. And then on top of that you throw in Marquis Willis who’s a freak athlete and may be the surprise of the entire class, and blue chipper Noreel White. A dynamic athlete.

Once you factor in Tre Harris and Watkins being healthy going into next season.. this may be a top 3 nationally WR room.

TIGHT END:

Outgoing - Kyrin Heath

Incoming - Dillon Hipp

Key guys returning - Caden Prieskorn, Hudson Wolfe, Javontay Conner

Year 2 of a healthy Prieskorn is huge. Our offense was so much better when he was on the field. Wolfe being a year removed from his long awaited return is a good thing. And the staff is super high on Conner and Hipp’s potential.

OFFENSIVE LINE:

Outgoing - Victor Curne, Quincy McGee, Cedrick Nicely, Cedric Melton

Incoming - Gerquan Scott (Southern Miss), John Wayne Oliver, Kavion Broussard, Jude Foster, Percy Lewis (hopeful - Miss State)

Key guys returning - Jeremy James (hopeful), Caleb Warren (hopeful), Micah Pettus, Jayden Williams, Eli Acker, Preston Cushman, Brycen Sanders, Reece McIntyre, Cam East

Prediction: SLIGHTLY BETTER

I think our OL was better than they got credit for. Not elite, but good. Those RPO blocking schemes are hard to evaluate when you don’t know the actual play called. But if we can get Warren and James back to go along with Pettus at RT, then our right side of line will be very good. I think Gerquan Scott is a plug and play starter at LG unless a guy like Brycen Sanders or Preston Cushman takes it from him, which would be a good problem to have. Percy Lewis is intriguing, Jayden Williams has been a good starting LT in SEC already, and they’re really high on Cam East’s potential and frame. We may add a proven LT from portal in spring, still, too.

DEFENSIVE LINE:

Outgoing - Jamond Gordon, Isaac Ukwu, Cedric Johnson, Stephon Wynn

Incoming - Walter Nolen (Texas A&M) Princely Umanmielen (Florida), Tyler Baron (Tennessee), William Echoles, Kam Franklin, Jeffrey Rush, Kamron Beavers

Key guys returning - JJ Pegues, Zxavian Harris, Jared Ivey, Akelo Stone, Joshua Harris

Prediction: MUCH BETTER

That’s a DOMINANT defensive line that Golding and Joyner are going to roll out there. Bringing back those key guys and then adding the clear cut top 3 defensive linemen out of the portal. All 3 of which are proven SEC guys. It’s just hard to believe, honestly. It’s taking a decent DL group and turning it into one of the top 5 in the country. Teams are going to be surprised at how much trouble this Ole Miss defensive front is going to give them next year. I can’t wait to watch them.

LINEBACKERS:

Outgoing - Ashanti Cistrunk, Khari Coleman, Monty Montgomery, Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste, Reginald Hughes

Incoming - Chris “Pooh” Paul (Arkansas), Raymond Collins, Cameron Clark

Keys guys returning - Suntarine Perkins, TJ Dudley (could be listed in “incoming”), Tyler Banks, Trip White

I think Perkins is poised to have a monster sophomore season, and we know Paul is a proven SEC LB. TJ Dudley and Raymond Collins are the guys that could really push this unit from good to very good. Go watch Collins film.. that dude isn’t a normal JUCO signee. He’s like Deion Smith, he can flat play. And our improved DL will help them run a lot cleaner and freer, as well.

Cornerbacks:

Outgoing - Deantre Prince, Zamari Walton, Demarko Williams, Deshawn Gaddie

Incoming - Decamarion Richardson (Miss State),Taz Nicholson (Illinois), Cedrick Beavers, Travaris Banks, Patrick Broomfield

Key guys returning - Chris Graves, AJ Brown, Nick Cull, Jarell Stinson

Prediction: HELD SERVE

I think we stayed about the same here. Maybe lean slightly better if forced to choose. I really like Taz Nicholson a lot! Most underrated pickup in my mind. And Decam Richardson graded out really well, like top 5 in SEC well. But his core stats do concern me a touch.. it’s hard to read too much into stats for a CB, but not having an INT in 4 seasons (2 as a primary CB) is concerning. And you can read whatever you want into him being a leading tackler. A pessimist would say it’s because he gave up so many receptions. An optimist would say it’s because he’s physical and not afraid to stick his nose in and hit you. Cedrick Beavers is a high level athlete who can help us as a nickel corner, immediately. And I think this is the year AJ Brown and Nick Cull both breakout. But Prince, Walton and Gaddie are 3 good players, and we’ll miss them.

Safety’s:

Outgoing - Isheem Young, Daijahn Anthony, Teja Young, Jaylen Knox

Incoming - Tamarion McDonald (Tennessee), Louis Moore (Indiana), Andy Jaffe, Shamar Darden, Katrevick Banks, Anthony Robinson, Wesley Walker (hopeful - Tennessee)

Keys guys returning - Trey Washington, Ladarius Tennison, John Saunders (hopefully), Taylor Groves, Daniel Demery, Jadon Canady

This presumes that Saunders returns, but otherwise Anthony is the only guy leaving that played meaningful snaps late in the season. McDonald and Moore are instant impact plug and play starter caliber players at Safety. If we add Walker, he’s an immediate two deeper, too. Washington, Saunders and Tennison were already very good this year. So we’d be 6 deep there, at minimum. I’ve also heard great things about Groves and Demery, they were just true freshmen last year. And Canady was brought in to be a versatile CB/S who’d already played at a high level at Tulane. He was just hurt last year, but they knew that. They felt his talent was good enough to bring him in anyways, similar to Dudley at LB. We could mess around at Safety and be dang good.
Good info. I thought I read that Coleman would be back at lb. I could very well be wrong. I think we will sign at least 2 more OL. Probably another cb and lb. Rb up in air until Bentley declares.

Reactions: zreb
Good info. I thought I read that Coleman would be back at lb. I could very well be wrong. I think we will sign at least 2 more OL. Probably another cb and lb. Rb up in air until Bentley declares.
Good analysis!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT