ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Regarding all the coronavirus news...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
I've talked a lot of Ole Miss people today and most expect the school to go online only soon. One option is to extend spring break a week and then go online for an indefinite amount of time. I'm told there are other schedule options for online, as well. I expect an announcement on a plan soon (today or tomorrow maybe). My guess is the IHL makes the announcement with statements for all schools.

I've talked to college baseball people, and it's the first day there's been real worry about the season being canceled at some point. I AM NOT REPORTING THAT so don't twist words. But multiple people are echoing the thoughts that it would follow the first pro sports league that cancels its games this season. My somewhat educated opinion -- stress opinion -- is that games will be played without fans at SEC venues (a guess is as early as next week but it's just me guessing) at some point and then if things continue to heighten, a canceled season could happen. If players get it, it's hard to see it continuing frankly. Now, let me stress again, I do not think cancellations are imminent or the next step at all, but I do think you'll see a change very soon. While I'm typing, another college baseball person just texted and said no fans likely happens soon. It would likely be a conference-wide decision instead of schools making their own decisions.

I've heard nothing about a change for this weekend. As of now, I think this weekend is status quo.

Not trying to cause panic, and I got zero indication canceling is currently being considered right now (actually told it wasn't right now), but I figured I owed you what I was hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.