ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Some notes and a couple other thoughts

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss heads to Memphis Tuesday at 6 p.m. to face the Tigers at AutoZone Park. Jordan Fowler is the Ole Miss probable starter versus Memphis right-hander Landon Kelly (1-2, 3.48). Last week we mentioned a silver lining for the UAPB blowouts was Fowler throwing the ball in the strike zone and potentially gaining confidence. Tonight is a big opportunity to show that was the case, as Ole Miss has lost five nonconference games to date, and Memphis is 11-11 on the season.

The Tigers' best resume lines are a two of three series win against Wilmington and a sweep of Western Kentucky, but it's an average team. Ole Miss desperately needs to generate offense and string at-bats together against Kelly before heading to Fayetteville. Kelly's season-long outing is 3.2 innings, and he's done that twice. He's allowed an earned run or more in eight of his nine outings, though he does throw the ball in the strike zone with 22 strikeouts and four walks in 20.2 innings. He's from Southaven and transferred to Memphis from Austin Peay.

No idea what Ole Miss is wearing tonight but here's the jersey breakdown so far this season:

In red jerseys 3-1
In navy jerseys 7-1
In powder blue jerseys 4-1
In grey jerseys 0-3
In pinstripe jerseys 3-2

Midweek games don't typically have a lot of importance for me, but I believe tonight is somewhat of an exception. The five losses I mentioned above are high for this point in the season, and Ole Miss is not playing consistent baseball as the meat of the schedule arrives. Things can't be completely solved in midweek action but they can be compounded negatively, so Ole Miss needs a crisp night.

There were signs of pressing and tightness in Louisville (just an overall perception from people there), and that's a potential reason for some of the early-game miscues. This is a bit of a duh statement, but Ole Miss plays much better when it can avoid the early screw up that puts everything on heels. Early runs would help, and Ole Miss has to improve it's situational hitting for anything to matter, but I think Fowler and the defense are the critical elements tonight.

Cooper Johnson gave Brian Rippee a quote a couple weeks ago about how when there's an early hole the offense strings at-bats together but doesn't feel like it makes a dent in things. With the Rebels, one side is constantly trying to pick up the other because of a lack of successful three phases often enough. If Ole Miss could do that tonight -- against an opponent that's not Pine Bluff -- it could at least set a good mindset toward Fayetteville. To my eye, FWIW, Ole Miss seems to be all up in its collective head currently, and that's the first thing that must change for the Rebels to have a bit of a run.

Ole Miss swept the season series from Memphis in 2016 and 2018 while the Tigers returned the favor in 2017.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.