FOOTBALL: South Carolina Coordinator Quotes

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
From GamecockScoop.com

Offensive Coordinator Dowell Loggains

On sacks:
"Most of them are coming up on third downs, I think 10 of the 16 are on third downs. You go back and watch them all and figure out why, and you start with the scheme and then you go through each individual position."

"You evaluate all of that and you work to correct it. Today was our third down day so we got good work at it today."

On the offense:
"We've done what we need to do three times and didn't do it one time. I'm not a stats guy, I don't look at stats."

Said he feels like they're playing to their strengths more.

"You're constantly learning what your players do well and then you figure it out and put them in situations. There's only so many situations you can put them in in practice, and then when it's off schedule you hav to figure out what that means."

On the quarterbacks:
"I was happy with the way Robby played against Akron. He was calm, did a nice job, played to his strengths. He's a guy we have a lot of confidence in."

"As a coach the bench is your biggest tool. Competition creates pressure, and pressure defines who you are. It makes you the best version of yourself most of the time. Having two good players at that position really helps."

On the Ole Miss defense:
"They're an aggressive group. The front seven is really good. It's as talented a front seven as we'll face all season. This is another huge challenge. We're going to face an extremely talented front that's done a good job in recruiting and the portal."

Compared them to the late 2000s Colts teams that could rush the passer more because Peyton Manning kept giving them leads.

Defensive Coordinator Clayton White

On the tempo:
"We do our best to try to mimic it during practice to make sure our guys understand it and can do it fast and can get our calls it. We do it every week, but obviously it's a little more important against a tempo team."

Said they work it a little bit every week, but have to do it a lot more this week.

On the Ole Miss receivers:
"To me coverage and fronts all go hand and hand together. The quicker we get to the quarterback the less they have to cover, the slower we get there the longer they have to cover."

On Dart:
'They do a really good job using his mobility. They have a very selective quarterback running game for him. He can beat you with his feet, but also throw for a lot of yards and touchdowns."

Said the key to stopping Dart is "making sure our guys understand the situation of the game" and knowing when Dart is more likely to take off vs. stay in the pocket. Also said it's about understanding rush lanes, where Dart likes to scramble, the formations he runs out of, and everything like that.

On giving up the deep touchdowns:
"To me it's just coming out and getting those reps. We have to do a good job of staying on top and getting to the ball, and once agains the pressure and the coverage go hand to hand."

On if Ole Miss will make adjustments:
"Kentucky did a good job of slowing the game down, that's not what Ole Miss wants to do. I'm anticipating things being faster. We think about it a ton, always trying to play faster and we can't be surprsied by certain things."

On if teams will try to replicate what Akron did with the quick throws:
"We anticipated that and we were ready for that part of it, it is what it is. It's football. We were not surprised by that. That's what they wanted to do and our guys had to make the adjustment."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.