ADVERTISEMENT

Spring rumblings and thoughts week 2

As I Lay Dying

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2007
Got to check out the scrimmage yesterday! I drove over 4 1/2 hours from Chatt very early morning and barely made it since they bumped it up.

First some thoughts that were passed along to
me throughout last week from people around the program.

Center MIGHT be a problem. Warren has the physicality but snap placement and consistency with that has been a thing so far. That showed in the scrimmage. Hearing that the Staff may pursue an experience game ready Center option this Summer .
(Depth is a problem at that spot too)

I mentioned it last week about LB maybe needing help and since Neal has reported the Ole Miss contact with the UAB Linebacker in the portal. Seems confirmed, that’s a spot they want more help in.

To expand on that, I’m told that It has nothing to do with Troy Brown or Khari Coleman being busts or anything like that.

They need bodies that can run. Coleman very likely might be used as an edge rusher at times in certain packages. They are sticking at the traditional LB spot for the entire Spring though to acclimate.

Ashanti Cistrunk has done all the right things and stepped up as a leader this off season but a minor issue I’ve hearis he lacks a little speed side to side. Not a huge issue though. He is a starter right now but Troy Brown is also limited with a nagging issue (idk the injury) Otis Keys is recovering from injury. That’s a spot I’m guessing they feel like we could improve at.

Trying to keep it short and less rambly. I’ll limit things mentioned already by Neal and others observations .

Bralon Brown is a stud. Rave reviews and he looks the part. Saturday wasn’t much in productivity but have heard about him making explosive plays throughout the week. Right now only thing lacking is consistency in little things to get more separation. It is expected we will have quite the trio with he, Jonathan Mingo, and Deion Smith.

Speaking of Wide receivers…
other options are developing nicely. Jordan Watkins is showing he can make some plays in traffic. Rayf Vinson is showing exactly the same. I think those 2 are battling for Slot reps along with Jalen Knox who is unfortunately out with minor stuff. In the Spring-primer weeks ago thread I mentioned the need for developed route runners. That remains as the concern for this group as a whole.

Brown and Vinson are probably the best route runners right now, with Watkins just behind them.

Continually hear glowing reports about the potential of this Dline. Seeing this group in person seems like an affirmation. We have a noticeably different look on the Dline from the past quite a few years.

I’ll keep repeating that Trey Washington will be an ALL-SEC caliber player sooner than later..
His transition/experiment to Safety has went incredibly well. He showed out Saturday.

It has been a long time, maybe ever, since we have had this kind of athleticism on the back end. Still a little small-ish overall but getting there through recruiting.

Tennison looks very solid at that Safety hybrid spot. Impressive physicality and looked faster than I remember Jake Springer being.

Michael F’N Trigg. Nothing else to say. Any money lines on 1st team ALL - SEC TE?

I genuinely love the potential of this team….

The QB battle is ramping up. Good showing from Altmyer. You can tell Dart has a different arm than him but consistent showings like that will separate them in the end.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.