ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Changes

MemphisRebel1

Special Teams Stud
Aug 3, 2016
It's obvious at this point that staff changes MUST be made at the end of this year. It's been a good ride, everyone should be thankful for this current staff and where they've brought the program...but we have to make improvements. Obviously we can't fire everyone and assemble some dream staff, so here are my suggestions:

Head Coach: Hugh Freeze, $4.5M salary
  • He should in no way be anywhere near a hot seat, but unless we get Sexton'd I don't think we need to give him a raise after the season.

Co-Offensive Coordinator (Pass Game)/Quarterbacks/Offensive Recruiting Coordinator: Dameyune Craig, $700k salary
  • He's an elite recruiter. Developed Jameis Winston at FSU. Former Auburn QB, knows the SEC. Currently works with LSU WRs and makes $625k salary with incentives. Sell him on added responsibility, work with QBs again, and the future on offense (Shea, WRs, etc.)

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties: Wesley McGriff, $550k salary
  • Familiar with Freeze. SEC/NFL pedigree. Really strong recruiter. Son is a walk-on WR for Auburn. Sell him on pay raise, coordinating his own defense while also coaching his chosen position group.

Co-Offensive Coordinator (Run Game)/Offensive Line: Matt Luke, $500k salary
  • I know some want him out. If I weren't suggesting so many other moves, I might agree. But his Ole Miss ties and strong recruiting buy him another year. He has recruited very well and even developed some underrated guys (Cooper, Conyers, etc.)

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers (Stinger) /Special Teams: Kevin Sherrer, $450k salary
  • Current LB coach at Georgia, making $350k annually. Strong recruiter. Has worked under Saban, Richt, and now Kirby. Was a D-coordinator at South Alabama and had some success, so you'd think he can figure out how to coordinate a special teams unit. Sell him on pay raise and added responsibility.
Defensive Line/Defensive Recruiting Coordinator: Chris Kiffin, $350k salary
  • Really good recruiter, average developer of talent. Better than who we could probably replace him with. Only way I can see us replacing him after the year is if NCAA causes it...
Cornerbacks: Jason Jones, $350k salary
  • His seat is getting warmer. Not a great recruiter. Decent developer of talent. He's safe for now, but he really needs the young guys to improve next year.
Wide Receivers: Grant Heard, $300k salary
  • The safest assistant on staff. No complaints. Great recruiter, especially in Texas, and develops WRs very well. Give him a raise to $300k.
Tight Ends: Maurice Harris, $250k salary
  • Seen his name be mentioned as one on the chopping block around here - I don't get it. Maybe because he's kinda bland? But he recruits fairly well, especially in Memphis - a key territory. Develops his position. He's safe in my opinion.
Runningbacks: Derrick Nix, $200k salary
  • This one was tough. Nix recruits pretty well, especially in Mississippi. But he is a poor developer of talent. That being said, he's the lead recruiter for Cam Akers apparently, and given his importance, I'm not sure you mess with that. Nix has shown an inability to develop RBs (he's had talent)...he's on the hot seat, but I give him one more year. Plus, the assistants pool is starting to shrink at this point. That being said, I could be sold on firing Nix...possible candidates: Robert Gillespie (Tennessee - MS native, elite recruiter) or Larry Porter (UNC - MS native, elite recruiter) ...both would probably run $350k-$400k.
Inside Linebackers (GA): Christian Russell
  • Think he has some potential, as a recruiter at the very least. Let him focus on his 1 sub-group - not too much responsibility. Does relieve some pressure from Sherrer who has Co-DC & ST responsibility. Could be a cheap hire if/when the NCAA allows 10 assistant coaches

So, that's 9 assistants...3 new ones (OC,DC,LB) ... and an influx of recruiting prowess. All 3 new assisatnts are really good recruiters, 1 is elite. Our assistants pool would go from $3M to $3.7M total. Not a huge jump, but keep in mind - in this scenario there are a few coaches on the hot seat (Nix, Luke, Jones, maybe even Harris) that may need to be replaced after next season. It's not ideal to have huge staff turnover each off-season so chipping away at the issues may be the best way to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News