ADVERTISEMENT

Stewart Mandel's thoughts on the Rebels

texasreb126

SEC Player of the Year
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2007
Does Ole Miss finally have what it takes to get over the hump and win the SEC? — Jeff H.

This will almost certainly be the most talented roster Ole Miss has fielded in the modern era. The Rebels have rarely been able to match the top programs in the SEC when it comes to stockpiling D-linemen, but this year’s group might be the best in the conference, between returnees Jared Ivey and JJ Pegues and newcomers Walter Nolen (Texas A&M), Chris Hardie (Jacksonville State) and top-100 freshman Kam Franklin. Established SEC players like linebackers Chris Paul Jr. (Arkansas) and Princely Umanmielen (Florida) and cornerback Trey Amos (Alabama) could provide big boosts as well.

But do I feel confident Ole Miss can win the SEC? No, I do not. This sounds strange to say about a Lane Kiffin team, but my biggest concern is the quarterback.

Jaxson Dart is entering his third season as the Rebels’ starter. He put up impressive numbers last season (3,364 yards passing, 23 TDs, five INTs, plus 389 yards and eight TDs rushing) and led his team to 11 wins. But he’s really struggled in the biggest games. His three lowest passer ratings last season were in Ole Miss’ losses to Alabama and Georgia and in the Egg Bowl against Mississippi State. He did rebound with a big performance against Penn State in the Peach Bowl (25-of-40 for 379 yards, three TD, no INTs), but it came against a Nittany Lions defense missing first-round defensive end Chop Robinson and a couple of other opt-outs.

To win the SEC, Ole Miss is going to need Dart to be consistent for 13 straight games and play at a high level in the biggest ones, be it Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU or others. Note: The program never once won the SEC West in its 32 years of existence. Wouldn’t it be something if it got to Atlanta in the first year without divisions?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News