ADVERTISEMENT

The Renaissance of Ole Miss football

devegar

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2008
Ole Miss has came a long way since Houston Nut. I think the main reason is Michael Lewis. His book The Blind Side and subsequent movie cast a favorable light on Ole Miss. It was the kind of favorable publicity that no amount of money could buy. Without that good nationwide feeling toward the school and alumni Hugh Freeze couldn't have ever worked his magic. Also, Bruce Feldman's 2007 book Meat Market gave Ole Miss a lot of publicity. He chronicled college football recruiting using Ole Miss as an example. It wasn';t always complementary but it put our name in the national spotlight..

Ole Miss has came a long way since Houston Nut. I think the main reason is Michael Lewis. His book The Blind Side and subsequent movie cast a favorable light on Ole Miss. It was the kind of favorable publicity that no amount of money could buy. Without that good nationwide feeling toward the school and alumni Hugh Freeze couldn't have ever worked his magic. Also, Bruce Feldman's 2007 book Meat Market gave Ole Miss a lot of publicity. He chronicled college football recruiting using Ole Miss as an example. It wasn';t always complementary but it put our name in the national spotlight..
I'd have to give the nod to Archie Manning for bringing Hugh Freeze back to Ole Miss.

Reactions: Fishing123
The "Blindside" was about a rags to riches story. Ironic it was about Michael Oher, knowing that Houston Nutt cast a great light, recruited him, and then screwed Ole Miss.

The "Blindside" was about a rags to riches story. Ironic it was about Michael Oher, knowing that Houston Nutt cast a great light, recruited him, and then screwed Ole Miss.
If Nutt had any character he would have waived the buyout clause when they fired him. Coaching is the only job I know of when a CEO runs a company into the ground and still gets big bucks.

Reactions: Beatlesreb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT