ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from the CWS

jwlRebel92

Five-Star Prospect
Gold Member
May 6, 2013
1. What a run. The two weekends I spent in Omaha were two of the most fun weekends I've ever had. From the stadium to the bars to the crowds to the team, everything was perfect. It was a lot like 2014 Alabama vs Ole Miss in Oxford, but it was 4 days of it. Everything was perfect.

2. This team man. I was as critical as anyone of this team and specific players and I've never tasted crow so good. I'm so happy for Tim Elko, who I admittedly bashed his first two years on campus, who has become a folklore legend. I'm so happy for Peyton Chatagnier, who I have criticized countless times, who made defensive play after defensive play. I thought I heard somewhere he has not made an error since February. Incredible. He also won us the game in the first Arizona game in the regional. Couldn't have done it without him or his energy. I'm so happy for TJ McCants. He has also faced criticism throughout this year and has had a lot going on off the field, so to see him step up and seal the deal in Hattiesburg game 2 and then again to get the B2B2B HRs started in game 1 of the national championship series, as well as get the rally started in the 8th of game 2. Super happy for him. The list goes on and on. DeLucia. Elliott. Wood. Harris. The entire bullpen. Just an unreal story.

3. Mike Bianco. Again I was a loud critic. I wanted him gone. I thought it had become stale. What a coaching job by him this year. The postseason brought new life to him and this team, and to his credit he held them together through the shit. This team went 18-4 since they left Fayetteville. That's incredible. The man will coach at Ole Miss for as long as he wants, and truthfully, I wouldn't be shocked to see him add another ring or two to his trophy case. I watched him embrace his wife on the field after the game and I could feel the sense of relief, happiness, joy, and every other feeling in between from them. It was awesome to see. She hears the same stuff he does, so I am happy for her in all of this as well. Congrats coach. One day it will be Swayze Field at Mike Bianco Stadium and that's exactly how it should be.

4. Another person that I am thrilled for is David Kellum. I've listened to him call Ole Miss games in every sport my entire life. He has been through more heartbreak in person than anyone on this board. He started calling OM baseball games back when he was still in school, if I am right, so you know this one was extremely special to him. His call of the final out was awesome and perfectly done. "The Ole Miss Rebels are YOUR National Champions."

5. Getting personal here, but I sat and watched both games in Omaha with my 74 year old father. He is the reason I am an Ole Miss fan (before this weekend I would tell you there were times I was mad about that, but I digress). He told me when I was looking at schools to go to "You can go to any school you want to, but the only one I will pay for is Ole Miss." I was never going anywhere else, and I am sure my mom would have won the battle and helped out wherever I went, except maybe State or LSU, but that just tells you what kind of fans we are. I went the first weekend of the CWS and flew back Tuesday after the winner's bracket game vs Arkansas on Monday night, and then waited to see if we would get to the championship series. Obviously we did. All that said, he was on the fence about coming up to the championship games. He has some back issues and is also superstitious and has seen OM blow it time and time again in his life. Every game this postseason, he did not watch it live. He would wait until it was over and he knew OM had won and then watch the replay. I had to convince him to come. We drove to Springfield, MO after work on Friday and then to Omaha for the games Saturday and Sunday. Saturday after the game he told me "That was the most fun I think I have ever had at a baseball game." Hard to argue that, especially during the B2B2B HRs. That alone made it all worth it. But Sunday is what got me. After Dunhurst caught the final strike and the team had dogpiled on the mound, he sat down in his seat, sec. 115 row 29 seat 14, and looked at me and said with a shaky, emotional voice, "I'm so glad you talked me in to coming. Thank you, son." If you knew my dad you'd know he's not the kind of guy to show much emotion, so that was a very special moment that got us both a little choked up. I really think that was a top 5 moment of his life. I'm convinced that he was convinced that he'd never see Ole Miss win a national championship (one not decided by AP voters) in his life. I will never ever forget those 2 days. I'd be hard pressed to say they weren't the best two of my life, simply because of my dad. What a weekend.

6. Still curious as to who let the Rebs get hot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News