ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Thoughts: State 8, Ole Miss 1

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss fell to Mississippi State, 8-1, Tuesday in Pearl, losing its fourth straight Governor’s Cup and 11th time in the last 13 games against the Bulldogs. The Rebels are 27-15 and 10-8 in the SEC. Also worth nothing that while inconsistent as far as it mattering, the NCAA selection committee has at times said these midweek league games count on the resume as a conference game.

Honestly the only major positive was Zack Phillips. He allowed three runs — two earned — in 5.1 innings and took a no-hitter into the fifth inning. He also stayed composed after a home run in the fifth inning tied the game. Fifty one of 86 pitches went for strikes, and he threw three pitches into the strike zone. Overall, considering opponent, it was his best effort of the season.

An error on Anthony Servideo with one out in the sixth followed by a walk ended Phillips’ night, and both runs he left scored after Max Cioffi gave up a single and double to the two batters he faced. I’ll be curious to see if Phillips works his back into the rotation.

Otherwise it was a bad game all the way around. Ole Miss had eight hits total with Servideo getting two of those along with a walk, and Grae Kessinger hitting a double and a single to extend his hot streak. The Rebels were 1-for-15 with runners on base and 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position through eight innings. A couple infield singles in the ninth made the numbers a little prettier. That’s on the players to execute. A ton of opportunities that went unused. Ole Miss stranded 11 runners.

I’ve seen 14 of Mike’s 19 seasons up close, and I don’t understand what’s going on with the lineup and the defensive positioning at times. A lot of spots go against basic beyond-the-boxscore stats. I’m not talking about some crazy analytic. Simple OPS and offensive numbers contradict the majority of his tinkering with lineup positions and who to hit against lefties versus righties. There’s no way to get a true answer on what’s going on, but I’m perplexed. I thought 2015, 2016 and 2018 (until that Monday) were some of MIke’s best manager jobs, but he doesn’t seem to have a feel for this group and he’s never been one to focus all on numbers.

My goal isn’t to pick on one specific player, but Chase Cockrell has been unable to replicate his 2018 season. He hasn’t hit a home run all season, and the strikeouts have mounted in mass against SEC pitching. He’s also not a great outfielder, and he played right field on Tuesday. The ball found him, as a fly ball toward the corner fell to the ground and gave State two of its first three runs. The common thought was that Josh Hall or Servideo would have caught it. It’s not Chase’s fault. He did all he could to get there. Hall had played well in Olenek’s absence, and Knox Loposer hits better (though in small sample size) against right-handers than left-handers. There are some options that seem to be worth a shot right now. Cockrell leads Ole Miss with 36 strikeouts in 79 at-bats.

Greer Holston pitched the ninth inning, making his first appearance of the year. Holston had been up to the high 80s in simulated work in recent weeks. He topped at 90 once on Tuesday and hit 88 a couple times. Other than that he was 81 to 84. After hitting a batter and walking the next one he threw six of his last seven pitches for strikes to end the inning. It was a good sign to see him on the mound. I know this has been a tough time for him as dead arm turned into a mental block.

This is the seventh “non-SEC” loss this season. But right now hosting isn’t in the conversation. Ole Miss simply has to play better. Twelve difficult league games remain and efforts like tonight won’t win enough to make the postseason. There’s more talent there than this showing, but it has to come out at some point for an extended period of time. The six-game SEC streak is the lone time this season the Rebels played clean, loose baseball for multiple weeks. It’s gut-check time, and my advice would be to relax. Play, let talent take over and let the results come. But while the players obviously have to play better, they need to be put in better situations to be successful, as well. That’s my opinion. Yours may vary.

"When Phillips came out we didn't have an answer on the mound or in the field," Bianco said. "We don't get hits with runners on and at one point they had three hits and busted it open. You have to credit them but disappointed in our effort."

"We have to get better, play better. We have to be tougher. The last two games we didn't handle things well in the field. We don't look like a veteran club and challenged them a little bit."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.