ADVERTISEMENT

Today's hypocthetical from MPW Pod

lpruittms

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2006
If a world where Ole Miss is 11-0 heading into EggBowl game, would you be upset if Kiffin rested the starters? Or let's even say they only play a qtr, at most, regardless of score.

You can assume injuries or not, maybe that causes a difference in answer.

A. Would you be upset?
B. What there is one drive to win the game and the starters have been out since 1ts qtr or maybe since halftime. Would you bring them back for the one drive knowing it could mean 12-0?

Personally, I'm all for sitting the starters, especially if the rest helps them; HOWEVER, I do worry about perception. The NFL is an easy comparison on why you should, but the difference is that the NFL doesn't have human beings picking the playoff teams. They are defined by rules for seeding. College football teams don't have that luxury.

What if, in this scenario, Ole Miss sits their starters, lose to State, and then follow that up with a loss in SEC championship game? Does the committee try to get cute/pissy about how they handled the state game?

I don't think this will come to pass but it is a fun thought exercise. Someone will have those decisions

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.