ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Tyler Myers tonight vs. Austin Peay

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
The Governors are 10-19 overall.

Myers is at least somewhat interesting because it frees up Drew McDaniel to be 100 percent available for whatever role this weekend. I don't know anything about him replacing Derek Diamond, but I assume part of the thought is we're semi-close to that as an option if things don't turn around, or at least McDaniel is available for long relief. I'm torn on the Sunday starter deal because I think McDaniel is the better option at this second, and I think Diamond could be really good as a max effort out of the pen. But he's starting next season so I hate to potentially kill confidence and give up on that right now. So I could see either move this weekend.

@semeca1

Mike does have a tendency to minimize the depth based on who he trusts as seasons move on. I expect him to give Burton a few opportunities in high-leverage situations. He has a 2.16 ERA and 1.32 WHIP on the year. He's pitched a decent amount, but it's mostly been low stress.

And considering the bullpen issues, Mitch Murrell deserves a look. 1.69 ERA, 0.75 WHIP in 5.1 innings.

Cody Adcock really struggled in his last two appearances, and he hasn't thrown against an SEC team yet. He needs midweek innings, if possible. And Brandon Johnson hasn't been used in conference play. His stuff doesn't look as dynamic as early in the year, but he hasn't been bad. Not the time to give up there.

I think the Harris midweek thing is just a coincidence. Mike has tinkered in other ways. But, yeah, there's benefit in getting him at-bats -- especially now that he can play first base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.