ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Predictions for each SEC team from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Sitting here at work at the end of a long day with limited options on what to do in the afternoon/evening hours so I thought I would write a post to hopefully fuel some discussion on the board on this Thursday before bye weekend. I wrote a post (August 17th) predicting the final record for each team a couple of months ago. I have linked that post and will provide updated predictions. I started to wait until after the games this weekend to write this, but that would take some of the fun out of it.

Georgia
Original prediction - 10-2 with losses to 2 of 3 to Alabama, Texas, or Ole Miss. Host seed of 1st round of CFP.
New prediction - No changes. I just hope that they beat Texas Saturday and lose their 2nd game to us.

Texas
Original prediction - 9-3. New Year's Day berth.
New prediction - 10-2. SECCG loser. Host seed 1st round of CFP. I just can't pick those guys to win the league in their 1st year. They have beat 2 of the 4 teams that I thought had a shot at them. Georgia and Texas A&M remain. I think they lose both.

Alabama
Original prediction - 11-1 SECCG Loser. host 1st round of CFP.
New prediction - 10-2. Who had Vandy over Alabama on their bingo card? Not me. They will lose either at UTjr this weekend or at LSU. They will beat Missouri at home.

Ole Miss
Original prediction - 11-1 SECCG winner 1st round bye CFP.
New prediction - 10-2 SECCG winner 1st round bye of CFP. The importance of getting key offensive linemen back is only talked about when they aren't there. We will get hot like 2015 (with no 4th and 25 this time) and win out. We will make the SECCG through the tiebreaker, and beat Texas. (This prediction was made with the same amount of bias as the officials in Baton Rouge last weekend)

Missouri
Original prediction - 10-2 road 1st round of CFP
New prediction - 9-3 New years Day berth. Missouri lost to Texas A&M as predicted and will lose to Alabama as predicted. They will also drop one to either Oklahoma or South Carolina.

LSU
Original prediction - 8-4 Tier 2 bowl
New prediction - 8-4 Tier 2 bowl. LSU played Ole Miss on the only week of the season they could win, with us hobbling to our open date, and won. Credit to them. That said, this is a flawed team. Nussmeier completed 43% against us and won due to completing the right 43%. That won't continue. Neither will the play of their defense. They are not good. We just couldn't block them (or anybody) up front. They could lose up to 5 more times. I predict they will go 2-3 in those games.

Tennessee
New prediction - 9-3 Tier 2 bowl. Like LSU, they are who I thought they are. They were lucky to beat Florida. They will may beat Alabama this weekend but they will lose to UGA and either Vandy or Kentucky. Mark it down.

Oklahoma
New prediction - 7-5 Tier 3 bowl. Lincoln Riley was right to be upset about Oklahoma moving to the SEC. They are currently 4-2, have no offense at all but a solid defense. They will lose to Ole Miss, Alabama, and either Missouri or LSU.

Texas A&M
Original prediction - 9-3 New Years Day bowl
New prediction - 9-3 New Years Day bowl. I thought Texas A&M had a chance to be sneaky good this year. They are. I missed both the L to Notre Dame and the W against Arkansas, but I think the end result is the same. They will lose 2 of 4 to Texas (I think they win that one...), LSU, Auburn, or South Carolina.

The Rest
Arkansas - Original prediction - 6-6. New prediction 7-5 Tier 3 bowl. This game on Nov. 2 scares the daylights out of me. We haven't won there (Fayetteville) since 2008 (sound familiar?).
Auburn - Original prediction - 7-5. New prediction 4-8. AU has 6 games left with a 2-4 record. I am not sure who else they beat besides ULM (sorry Neal). Surely they will get someone napping. Maybe Vandy?
Florida - Original prediction - 6-6 New prediction 6-6 Tier 3 bowl. Florida has played about as hard as a team can with all the coaching rumblings. They will beat Kentucky this weekend, one of LSU or Ole Miss ( no win there since, you guessed it, 2008) and FSU. Will it save Napier?
Kentucky - Original prediction - 5-7 New prediction 6-6 Tier 3 bowl. The Ole Miss game will keep me from being spot on this one.
Mississippi State - Original prediction - 6-6 New prediction 3-9. I thought MSU would be better than they are. They usually over perform from expectations. That said, MSU has improved. They will beat UMass and someone they shouldn't. It could be us if we don't win enough to care by that time.
South Carolina - Original prediction - 4-8 New prediction - 5-7. USCe could get to 6-6 if they can win 2 of the games against Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Vandy, and Missouri. I think they only get one.
Vanderbilt - Original prediction - 3-9 New prediction - 7-5. The most improved team in the SEC, I think they beat Ball State to get to 5-2 and then go 2-3 against their remaining SEC foes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.