ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 thoughts from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Author's note: I will not write a long narrative about a 76-0 (could have been 176-0,...really) win over an FCS team. I will say that I hope the fans, all fans, not just Ole Miss fans, get tired of this type of exhibition and force the teams to move to schedule more competitive competition in the future. These games are just a fleece to the fans and a waste of everyone's time. But, I digress. In this first installment, I will talk about players in each position group that stood out (or didn't) in the blowout win.

Overall Team
We have a chance to be elite. I have been alive for 54 years, a fan, student, and alumnus as long as I can remember, and this team is the best looking "on the hoof" team I have ever seen us field. I don't know that there is a close 2nd. Maybe 2014 or 2015, but I don't think those teams were in this team's category as far as potential. We have an opportunity to win every game on our schedule, barring something catastrophic like a major injury to a key player or two. Barring that, complacency and how we react to the publicity and the inevitable adversity will go a long way to dictating how things go.

DL
Last night we were treated to a glimpse of what our DL might have looked like a decade ago if Chris Jones had signed with us instead of going to MSU. Any of the tens of tens of you who read my recaps will know that I have been a big JJ Pegues fan since he returned home from the Plains a few years ago. My first thought when Walter Nolen announced he was coming to Ole Miss last winter was that JJ would be the benefactor of his arrival. Walter Nolen is a force that must be accounted for, which will open things up for JJ, as you witnessed last night. Jamarious Brown is one I locked in on after watching his HS tape, and last night was just a preview. He has tremendous upside and a motor that won't stop! Umanmielen (Prince U from here on, I ain't spelling that all year) and Ivey will benefit from the depth of the big guys inside. The domino effect is a real thing on the DL. The only area I would like to see improve is with JJ. I wish he were about 15-20 pounds lighter. Maybe he will shed a few as the season moves on. I conclude by saying this, our DL is as good as anyone's in the country, the best Ole Miss DL in my lifetime. Big, strong, deep, athletic, dominating.

LB
Chris Paul is the real deal. He has good speed and takes good angles. Dottery seemed to get lost on the wheel route a couple of times, but there is a reason he has the C2P hat, so I am sure he will get that corrected. Coleman had a good game. Wish we had another player here. Maybe someone will catch our attention in the coming weeks.

DB
Brandon Turnage finally came home and suited up in Red and Blue. He looks the part. I was impressed with Amos. He is going to be our best CB. Saunders and Washington should be improved from last year, and they were both solid last year.

Defense Overall
The late, great football commentator Keith Jackson is quoted as saying, "There are 3 things you have to have in football, footspeed, footspeed, and footspeed." Our defense has footspeed. We are big where we need to be big, physical all over the place, and fast all around. I know it was an FCS team, but I know what my eyes saw. This defense could be elite.

OL
This position group was the one area most seemed to question coming into the season. Those questions were magnified when it leaked that the DL was getting the better of things in most practice sessions. Well, I think we see why that might have been the case now. This group of OL is significantly better than what we put out on the field last year, and realistically has a chance to go 8-9 deep once Warren and Scott return from injuries. I watched Jayden Williams the most, as he plays the all-important LT position. It was FCS competition ( I won't point it out again) but he did a good job in both the run and pass game. Jeremy James started at RG, which is not surprising. Dude has over 40 starts at Ole Miss. Pounds looked good when he was in the game.

TE
Prieskorn is a matchup nightmare. His ability to get open and snatch the ball like a nerf, coupled with his physical blocking, is going to keep many a DC up at night. Wright is solid edition who will play valuable minutes. We could be lethal in 12 personnel, given our WRs on the outside.

WR
Harris is a cheat code. I understand the stats thing, but get that dude out when the issue is no longer in doubt! JMHO. I have bragged about Cayden Lee since watching his HS tape. Juice Wells is special too. Best WR room in the country IMHO, and it rivals our 2017-2018 room. I hope Jordan Watkins can get some meaningful game action soon.

RB
My one area of concern is RB. I was worried when QJ (I will try not to mention him again this season) jumped ship that UBIV was a good compliment, but might struggle as "the man". I am not ready to write him off at RB1 yet, but if we were playing LSU next week, I would, based on last night, have Henry Parrish Jr as RB1. I was happy for Matt Jones, but it was mop-up time. I trust the coaches to gauge whether he will get some reps in a meaningful situation.

QB
Tyler Siskey and I have the same thoughts about QB1. If you haven't placed your futures bet on JD for the Heisman, you might want to make that move soon. There is not a QB in the nation that I would trade JD for. Georgia can keep Beck. tOSU can keep Howard. JD is the man. Barring injury, he will leave here with all the records, and possibly a Heisman. Simmons showed flashes of brilliance in relief. The talent is there, no doubt. I was surprised Howard didn't get more snaps. I would bet that he gets extended mop-up time next week if it is available.

Overall
We are better in every position group except RB than last year. If we can get steady play there, this offense can be the most prolific in school history. Weapons, dangerous weapons, are all over the field and our coaching staff is going to make opposing defenses defend every square inch of the field.

ST
Caden Davis has as strong a leg as anyone in the country. Hopefully, he will continue to improve on his accuracy. Masin did not have a good first game, but I expect us to be better there. The punt return game looked solid with Davis. Maybe he can spell Watkins there and contribute.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.