ADVERTISEMENT

“We didn’t come here to be good, we came to be great.”

OxonianReb

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
- Lane Kiffin, introduction presser, December 2019

You don’t get to say that, get the fans to buy in and support a Playoff caliber roster, and then get pissy when there’s expectations attached and you’re on the verge of not meeting them. In hindsight, that comment postgame by Lane is ridiculous. You can support the program and see that for what it is.

It’s concerning that Lane’s narrative could be shying away from expectations instead of embracing it.

I don’t want to overreact because we still have four really important games to end the season, and if we win out, mission accomplished and well done.

With that said, I’m hoping that wasn’t a “back to back Cotton Bowls” moment for Lane. Situations are completely different, but both had an air to them that’s frankly insulting to the fanbase that’s always stepped up when asked.

I get he’s had some personal stuff going on this year. Losing a parent is really hard, no matter the timing. And I’m not even remotely in the camp that hopes he would leave under any scenario, but I do hope that comment was simply a frustration moment and someone with a backbone close to him will hold him accountable. Judging by Neal’s reaction, I’m guessing it was received how it was intended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.