ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Ole Miss Football Depth Chart

Can you say, "Loaded?" We'll be fine next season, barring injury or someone getting in trouble. Noticed Ordway wasn't mentioned. Coach Freeze knows what he's doing!

Shows Gross as a backup... :)

Yea d-line is legit...

Need to find a way to get Speaks and Gross out there together.[/QUOTE A great problem to have. Used to not be that way only a few years ago-legit. d-line. Gross and Speaks are more than adequate replacements for RN. Expect them to play at the same time. Surprised we are not going after a fullback. Is that by design considering the type of offense we play, or just difficult to come by? Also, an adequate punter. Gleeson became somewhat of a joke with that rugby roll-out crap when he's capable of doing much better.

I hope Shea gets to redshirt. Can you imagine him being the starter for 3 years, after Kelly is gone?

I look forward to the Big Running Backs!! You can wear down the defense by pounding the ball. Judd & Wilkins have proven that they run with authority!!

We look loaded but we still need to land Gary and Juarez at the very least in addition to the current commits.

At this point we must have a top 5 class when signing day arrives 2 weeks from now.

Our competition is LSU and Alabama for this recruiting season. We have to nail down a top 3-5 class to build a new cornerstone-championship contender for the next few seasons to come.

You can always turn a hungry back up linebacker into a fullback... I wouldn't want to use a scholly for just a fullback.

But yea, we are so close to ATL you can smell it... We just need a couple breaks and a healthy season.

Not sure when we get there but I'm predicting by the time Shea leaves at the latest...

You can always turn a hungry back up linebacker into a fullback... I wouldn't want to use a scholly for just a fullback.

But yea, we are so close to ATL you can smell it... We just need a couple breaks and a healthy season.

Not sure when we get there but I'm predicting by the time Shea leaves at the latest...

We don't use a fullback so you probably don't have to worry about that

We don't use a fullback so you probably don't have to worry about that
Sorry to disagree, but we need a fullback to move the pile on 3rd and 3, or at the goal line which we'll be there aplenty. What was the point in using Liggins or Nkemdiche as fullback if there wasn't a need? Alabama was very successful with Henry. Imagine a fullback who is more adept at crushing people, and moving that pile. Furthermore, knowing Alabama gets these fullbacks like Lacy and Henry-maybe RBs, but play like FBs-Alabama wins so many games b/c of such players. We do need to use a fullback. I think this separates us from a NC, and getting by Alabama, the only team that can beat us in 2016 in my opinion.

Sorry to disagree, but we need a fullback to move the pile on 3rd and 3, or at the goal line which we'll be there aplenty. What was the point in using Liggins or Nkemdiche as fullback if there wasn't a need? Alabama was very successful with Henry. Imagine a fullback who is more adept at crushing people, and moving that pile. Furthermore, knowing Alabama gets these fullbacks like Lacy and Henry-maybe RBs, but play like FBs-Alabama wins so many games b/c of such players. We do need to use a fullback. I think this separates us from a NC, and getting by Alabama, the only team that can beat us in 2016 in my opinion.

I have said it before and i'll say it again, if you think we will ever have a dedicated fullback then you don't understand our offense. Also Henry and Lacy are both running backs that never lined up at fullbacks. I get it. You like old school line up in an I smash mouth football but that isn't Ole Miss and it won't be as long as Freeze is the coach. He isn't going to change that. The spread allows us to even the playing field with tempo and matchups with reicievers on safeties and linebackers. Oh and by the way Alabama doesn't have a fullback on thier roster either. They don't recruit them. You can take all the football you know before 2010 and pretty much throw it out. College football has evolved.

I have said it before and i'll say it again, if you think we will ever have a dedicated fullback then you don't understand our offense. Also Henry and Lacy are both running backs that never lined up at fullbacks. I get it. You like old school line up in an I smash mouth football but that isn't Ole Miss and it won't be as long as Freeze is the coach. He isn't going to change that. The spread allows us to even the playing field with tempo and matchups with reicievers on safeties and linebackers. Oh and by the way Alabama doesn't have a fullback on thier roster either. They don't recruit them. You can take all the football you know before 2010 and pretty much throw it out. College football has evolved.
I say be more diversified. I get what you are saying. Coach Freeze has to be aware of the value of a fullback. Lacy and Henry were functional RBs, used as FBs. They ran over people! That's what a fullback does. Short yardage was NOTHING to them ! We don't have that, Pratt. The FB who can blow a whole through a DL on 3rd down and short or in the end zone is a true asset even today. The reason they got the freaking Heisman! This was our weakness this past season! Both over, what-over 220 pounds? That's FB size!

Last edited:
All we need is an OL like Bama if we want to run like Bama. Fullback aint going to do squat.

We lined 300 lb Liggins in the full back spot this past year to no avail.

Reactions: Reblarry
All we need is an OL like Bama if we want to run like Bama. Fullback aint going to do squat.

We lined 300 lb Liggins in the full back spot this past year to no avail.
Liggins is NOT a fullback. He's not like a Henry or Deuce. Our O-line will be adequate if we have the right fullback.

Last edited:
Liggins is NOT a fullback! He's not like a Henry or Deuce. Our O-line will be adequate if we have the right fullback.
Wait, now Duece was a fullback too? You don't want a fullback you want a power back, there is a huge difference. Fullbacks seldom run the ball and are mostly blockers. In our offense the Tightend/ Hback fills that roll. Our Line is the reason we can't run the ball up the middle. Henry didn't break holes through the line very often, there were holes made for him. He did run people over and break arm tackles in the secondary but so did Judd/Wilkins when they got into the secondary. I'm a firm believer that we should never run the ball inside the 5 it's not our strength. If we are going to run it needs to be a sweep or option.

Wait, now Duece was a fullback too? You don't want a fullback you want a power back, there is a huge difference. Fullbacks seldom run the ball and are mostly blockers. In our offense the Tightend/ Hback fills that roll. Our Line is the reason we can't run the ball up the middle. Henry didn't break holes through the line very often, there were holes made for him. He did run people over and break arm tackles in the secondary but so did Judd/Wilkins when they got into the secondary. I'm a firm believer that we should never run the ball inside the 5 it's not our strength. If we are going to run it needs to be a sweep or option.
Power back or fullback, either. Whoever can run short yardage. Deuce was all everything, but you're right about Judd and Wilkins. You seem to know a lot about this. Gives me something to think about. Thank you for a better perspective.

Liggins is NOT a fullback. He's not like a Henry or Deuce. Our O-line will be adequate if we have the right fullback.

Liggins is better than a full back... He's a 300 lb blocking machine. If we can't run behind that we need to improve the OL....

I've seen Liggins provide downfield blocking for runs the length of the field. He's got to find himself a niche this last year and contribute. He's too athletic but we can't keep throwing him in all over the place and ever help him develop.

I've seen Liggins provide downfield blocking for runs the length of the field. He's got to find himself a niche this last year and contribute. He's too athletic but we can't keep throwing him in all over the place and ever help him develop.

If he works hard between now and the fall he may start at a tackle spot. or he could drop about 30 and be a heck of a tight end.

Pratt says that, too. Just believe if we need short yardage, we are in trouble.

Our weakness is the interior on short yardage. We start 5 yards deep and only have 5 to 6 people trying to block 8. Outside running is our strong point and should continue to do it in short yardage. The Option is the greatest equalizer in those situations. This way you have have an inside/ outside read that covers an inside out/outside stunt. Line pinches qb pulls the ball and walks in off the edge, line stunts to the edges give to the tailback up the middle. If the begin to put a spy on the qb to take that option away you just put 2 rbs in the backfield and have a tripple option. One up the middle then as the qb heads to the edge he has the option to read the spy and pitch to the other RB. Eventually Teams will gameplan to have the corner crash to take away the pitch and that opens the receiver up for a fade pop pass from the option. Our problem for what ever reason is we go one dimensional on short yardage and try to play power football when we have been playing option/misdirection/trick offense the rest of the time. It's like Freeze doesn't want to have a mistake when he gets down close.

Go watch our offense. We dink, dunk, and run options all the way down the field moving the ball well but when we get inside the five we try to play smash mouth and go away from what got us there.

All I know is we got Big Rob dinged up at Memphis screwing around because no one else was a prospect. Judd played with enough guts to plunge 2 yards by end of season. Also I expected to see Buford more since he bulked up and showed signs midway through the season then disappeared.

Our weakness is the interior on short yardage. We start 5 yards deep and only have 5 to 6 people trying to block 8. Outside running is our strong point and should continue to do it in short yardage. The Option is the greatest equalizer in those situations. This way you have have an inside/ outside read that covers an inside out/outside stunt. Line pinches qb pulls the ball and walks in off the edge, line stunts to the edges give to the tailback up the middle. If the begin to put a spy on the qb to take that option away you just put 2 rbs in the backfield and have a tripple option. One up the middle then as the qb heads to the edge he has the option to read the spy and pitch to the other RB. Eventually Teams will gameplan to have the corner crash to take away the pitch and that opens the receiver up for a fade pop pass from the option. Our problem for what ever reason is we go one dimensional on short yardage and try to play power football when we have been playing option/misdirection/trick offense the rest of the time. It's like Freeze doesn't want to have a mistake when he gets down close.

Go watch our offense. We dink, dunk, and run options all the way down the field moving the ball well but when we get inside the five we try to play smash mouth and go away from what got us there.
You say, "one dimensional." You're right, and this is what concerns me. Why I've been saying we need a fullback or power back on short yardage. It's amazing we've done this well as it is. Our offense is exciting.and unpredictable considering the fake hand offs and hitting Engram or Walton with a pop pass. If there is any weakness on our football team, short yardage is it. That triple option idea sounds great, and it's not easily executed from what I understand. You seem to know your stuff. Are you a coach? Wonder if coaches actually read these posts.

You say, "one dimensional." You're right, and this is what concerns me. Why I've been saying we need a fullback or power back on short yardage. It's amazing we've done this well as it is. Our offense is exciting.and unpredictable considering the fake hand offs and hitting Engram or Walton with a pop pass. If there is any weakness on our football team, short yardage is it. That triple option idea sounds great, and it's not easily executed from what I understand. You seem to know your stuff. Are you a coach? Wonder if coaches actually read these posts.

2000px-Football-Formation-FB.svg.png

Looks typical. But with an OL like ours, we may never see it. Not trying to be critical or second guess anyone, just playing the Devil's advocate. I've seen other teams frequently use a fullback or power back, and they were successful. Look at Janovich of Nebraska and Miles Thomas of Michigan. Can't hurt to recruit such players.

Last edited:
Tunsil will be drafter in the first 10 guys and Coopers stock is rising according to nfl scouting reports today. We showed up fairly well especially later in the season.

I'm not a coach but i have studied football more than most people that aren't coaches. This is a prime example of the option i was talking about in a couple of different looks Triple option

Reactions: Beatlesreb
I'm not a coach but i have studied football more than most people that aren't coaches. This is a prime example of the option i was talking about in a couple of different looks Triple option
Was expecting more of a wishbone. Anytime I see "option" I think of wishbone. Would assume the qb has to make a very quick decision whether to pop that pass or hand off, or pitch (hence, triple option). Very effective if done right. I remember John Bond and Walter Lewis years ago. Was that triple option? Going back a long time, I know. Even Fourcade did some sort of option. Very neat to see, and deadly.Why isn't this seen much? But yes, Wilkins, Pennamon, and Judd are great rbs and are capable in this triple option.

Last edited:
With Chad Kelly, Evan Engram and Tony Conner coming back to Oxford, next season's roster has more talent than we expected. Let's take a shot at projecting the three-deep.
TOO lengthy to post entire article/comments section here. Great read...great comments 2.
LINK:

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2016...-kelly-evan-engram-greg-little-shea-patterson

Looks like ole miss is expecting a lot out of some incoming true freshmen. Especially on offense.

Last season's Oline was deep. It went a solid two deep, 10 players. It will going from 160+ career starts to under 40 career starts. That is a BIG drop off in experience.

If that incoming QB is as good as advertised it doesn't pay to redshirt him. He will be gone after starting two years once outgoing starter leaves.

rebs do lose over half their overall starters, seven "O" and six "D". That's a lot to replace. Winning in the SEC isn't about players 1 - 22. It's all about players 23 - 44. A team must have quality experienced depth across the board. Really don't see it off that two deep depth chart.

ole miss has a very highly rated '16 recruiting class but don't see a lot of high end talent on "D" committed yet. Eight players with five being only three * prospects.

Your QB is the best in the SEC so you will have a chance in every game. How did archie's SR season turn out?

Looks like ole miss is expecting a lot out of some incoming true freshmen. Especially on offense.

Last season's Oline was deep. It went a solid two deep, 10 players. It will going from 160+ career starts to under 40 career starts. That is a BIG drop off in experience.

If that incoming QB is as good as advertised it doesn't pay to redshirt him. He will be gone after starting two years once outgoing starter leaves.

rebs do lose over half their overall starters, seven "O" and six "D". That's a lot to replace. Winning in the SEC isn't about players 1 - 22. It's all about players 23 - 44. A team must have quality experienced depth across the board. Really don't see it off that two deep depth chart.

ole miss has a very highly rated '16 recruiting class but don't see a lot of high end talent on "D" committed yet. Eight players with five being only three * prospects.he time.

Your QB is the best in the SEC so you will have a chance in every game. How did archie's SR season turn out?
In all fairness to Archie, he broke his arm during the Houston game, played anyway that season, but could have benefited from a medical hardship, which wasn't around at time. When is a player eligible for a medical hardship? Seems like a fair alternative to going pro early, which I've been harping on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT