ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Portal Approach

FlyFishingRebel

Rookie
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2016
Is there any early intel on potential portal targets or on the approach the staff plans to take this offseason to fill gaps in the roster?

Here’s my early thought on the direction they may go. I based this off of the depth chart available on Ourlands.com.

QB: 1
With Altmyer (likely leaving) and only Dent and Reed to back him up, I think it’s more than likely that they add a 5th year senior to play the backup role in 2023.

RB: 1
Evans is rumored to be leaving for the Draft and you’ll also be loosing Woullard to graduation and Bullock is a likely transfer target. While they’re likely to sign a HS running back, I think it’s unlikely they don’t add someone with experience to supplement what will be a pretty young room in 2023. We are seeing how important this position group is to Lane's offense and we need depth here.

WR: 3
This to me is the most interesting position group on the team. They (I think) will lose Mingo, Heath, Knox & Robinson. I am guessing that you’ll see a Bralon Brown and Brandon Buckhaulter transfer. Maybe not those two specifically, but young players who haven't been able to get on the field. If that were to happen, you could potentially be losing half a dozen bodies in this group. The only “productive” players coming back would be Watkins and Wade. While Ayden Williams is going to be a player and is going to be in the rotation as soon as he steps foot on campus, they are going to have to completely rebuild this room. Three quality transfers, Williams, Watkins & Wade would would be a strong group going into 2023. They may need more.

TE: 1
They are losing Hess and it appears that Wolfe is done. That leaves you with three players in Trigg, Kelly and Heath. They have one player committed, but as we saw last week, some experience would be helpful for that group. They could also go with another HS player if they can get the right one. I'd prefer someone with experience given the up-and-down season from Trigg and limitations we've seen from Kelly.

OL: 2
Assuming no transfers, the only starter not returning is Broeker. I could see them going with two players who profile as interior bodies to help supplement the need for more depth at center and a starter to replace Broeker at the LG spot. I think we're in a great spot at Tackle who two starters returning and good depth being redshirted.

DE: 2
They’re only losing Robinson after this season as of now. While Ivey will be a strong replacement , they’ve shown a need to continue to build rotation and depth at this position. We also lack speed on the edges outside of Johnson and need to greatly improve the athleticism of this group. I think they’ll add a big body like an Ivey, but also a speed rusher to help backup Cedric Johnson, assuming his returns.

NT: 1
Hill is graduating and there are already rumors of a target on another SEC team that will fill this role in 2023. I don’t think Harris will be ready for the starter role in 2023.

DT: 0
I think they’re in an OK spot with Pegues, Malone & Gordon.

LB: 1
I am only projecting one spot here, because I believe that Perkins will contribute from day 1 and will quickly be in the top 4. There are also a number of players currently projected to return in Keys, Coleman, Cistrunk, Willis & Banks. A starting rotation of TBD transfer, Keys, Coleman and Perkins is not a bad group. That said, if more current players depart, I could see them upping this number to 2.

CB: 1
They are losing Prince and while I think Brown has upside, I don’t think they’ll be comfortable going into 2023 with he and a freshman in Braxton Meyers on that side of the field. I feel good about the other side with Igbinosun, Breedlove & Williams.

SS: 0
Isheem Young will continue to get better and there’s solid young depth in this group.

FS: 1
They’re losing Finley and have nothing but young players in this position group. We need to bring someone in with experience here.

NB: 0
They have solid depth here.

DB: 0
Same as above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News