ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: 5 Rebels who performed well in summer leagues (and a few who didn't)

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Here's the link to the best news of the summer for Ole Miss. https://olemiss.rivals.com/news/five-rebels-who-excelled-during-summer-baseball-leagues

Jacob Adams and Cole Zabowski also had nice summers.

On the negative side, it was mostly pitching related, but as I pointed out in the top of the story, I don't know how to quantify that since it's a small sample size and it's so much about development rather than results. I've long learned not to take summer ball as a major development in any direction.

However, Will Ethridge had an ERA around 9, and Houston Roth was 5.90. I think both those guys are prime candidates for weekend starter jobs, and I would have liked to have seen a touch better numbers. Both threw strikes, so it's up to you to decide if it's good or bad that it was hits and not command that caused the inflated numbers -- again in small sample sizes.

Cooper Johnson hit under .200 with Bourne but by all accounts was really good behind the plate and from a leadership standpoint while on the field. If he's as good as advertised defensively I don't really care what he hits, but that part of his game has to be above average. I'm haven't seen enough to determine Dillard is the best option at catcher, as we need to see the other outfield options this fall and spring, and defensively he has the tendency to be a little stiff. The best thing for the Rebels is for Cooper to perform.

Dillard didn't hit relatively well, but I don't think that matters. He's proven, and that club he played for is huge on development under Mike Roberts.

Greer Holston put up an ERA in the 3s in the Cape. Quality summer. He's often forgotten, but he will have a significant role.

Jordan Fowler walked 12 in 15.1 innings and has an ERA of 8.80 in the Cape. I'm going to ask around and see if he was working on something specific because that lack of command is odd considering how he finished the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.