ADVERTISEMENT

A few scattered football thoughts as we approach the season

KentuckyReb

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2005
We are currently in camp so I’m in the middle of this run of working thirty something 12 hour days in a row. This means I am listening to random college football pods for multiple hours each day.

I keep hearing talking heads talk about the B1G as if it is equal to the SEC and will/should get equal representation in the playoff. They talk about how good the defenses are in that league etc.

I’ll start by saying I’m not one of those fans chanting S-E-C S-E-C at games. In fact, I’m often annoyed by the weird level of arrogance by some SEC fans. That said, have these people watched B1G football?!? I have. A lot. The level of QB play in that league is atrocious and often pathetic. I get tired of hearing how good these defenses are. Looking at you Iowa. It’s easy to look good when the QBs that you’re playing against can’t complete passes. Look what happened to Penn State and Iowa in bowl games last year. LSU (with a backup QB and WRs) lit them up. Ole Miss made Penn State look pedestrian scoring at will in the second half. I have a good feeling that schools like USC and Oregon are about to dismantle these “vaunted” B1G defenses. I hope that the college football playoff committee takes into account that these great teams like Michigan and Ohio State are playing Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Rutgers and other teams who can’t complete a forward pass. 90% of that league severely lacks Qb and skill position talent.

The ACC seems to be overlooked right now. There is some quality in that league. Norvel has proven that he knows how to win. They have half of Alabama’s team from last year and are probably the most complete team in that league. They just need for DJ not to lose games for them. I look for Clemson to have a bit of an uptick as they’ve finally brought in some young elite WRs. They really need Klubnik to round into form and take a step. Their defense is going to be really salty. Miami is built from the inside out with a fair amount of talented depth on each LOS, and I think they have college footballs most underrated QB in Cam Ward under center. NC State and Va Tech will have something to say about who wins that league. Georgia Tech can play spoiler in that league and ruin someone’s playoff chances. Of they and the Big 12, I think the ACC is most likely to get a second team in the playoff.

Will add more later. Gotta get back to work.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.