ADVERTISEMENT

A question for all of you who say "millions in donations will be lost over

mccrebel

Five-Star Prospect
Nov 2, 2008
this mascot issue". If that is true, then why didn't these prominent alumni who are the ones who donate all the big bucks stand up and stop Dan Jones from taking away FDWL. It is my understanding that everyone would rather have FDWL than Col. Reb any day. So maybe all the "big bucks" are in agreement with everything that has been going on. I don't know that for sure but it sure looks that way. And lets not be stupid, the big bucks run this place, so if they didn't want FDWL to be taken away I fully believe they could have stopped it.

FDWL was a farce. The band still plays Dixie. FDWL was a lame attempt at PC. FDWL didn't matter in the same sense as Ole Miss and Rebels. Anyone with half a brain can see this.

Actually the FDWL issue was not an attempt at PC... The FDWL fiasco was a direct result of a large number of students (and other fans) not being willing to stop the stupid TSWRA chant.

Now, there was also a good bit of what amounts to, in my opinion, bad management of the public relations side of it by a relatively inexperienced Chancellor, but the fact that the band kept playing Dixie the rest of the season and played it a LOT at the Cotton Bowl tells me that stopping the playing of FDWL had nothing to do with the political correctness of the song and everything to do with the extremely negative message that "TSWRA" sends.

Originally posted by RebHoo:
Actually the FDWL issue was not an attempt at PC... The FDWL fiasco was a direct result of a large number of students (and other fans) not being willing to stop the stupid TSWRA chant.

Now, there was also a good bit of what amounts to, in my opinion, bad management of the public relations side of it by a relatively inexperienced Chancellor, but the fact that the band kept playing Dixie the rest of the season and played it a LOT at the Cotton Bowl tells me that stopping the playing of FDWL had nothing to do with the political correctness of the song and everything to do with the extremely negative message that "TSWRA" sends.

exactly right

I'm sure they meant it from a purely economical standpoint

I know several who told me personally that they would pull their money if Colonel Rebel is removed permenantly, and this was back when the topic came up several years ago.

The guy donated 5 digits every year and he said no more.

Nobody gives a damn about FDWL because it has little to do with the university, but Col. Rebel is something that has been an identifier for the university for a very long time and there are plenty of people who love Colonel Rebel and don't see it as an offensive symbol.

Sure, the youngsters want to be proactive, but the folks with the money just so happen to be stubborn as all get out and will without a doubt pull money over this. You can book it.

Ole Miss can make up for their donations with all the mascot merchandise sales that they are losing out on right now.

Really...how much money are we losing...and how many young children are we losing...b/c we don't have a mascot?

YeeOleMiss5 - thank you. Finally someone who understands that this in fact a business. My kids are very excited and you should all be too.

How about we all come together and support this new whatever?

Maybe now I can quit buying Giants stuff and buy some Rebel gear? How many "Ole Miss" insignia t-shirts can one family own? My limit is 15.

I give $$$$ and will continue to give regardless of who our mascot is. I just want to WIN!!!!!

Yeah man. Exciting times for your Kiddies. Maybe they can help you fools pick out a new name when they take "Rebels" away. And it's already started.

Thanks "Progressives" Hannitized, HA!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT