ADVERTISEMENT

A story about Freeze’s playcalling..

OxonianReb

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
My little guy is starting to get into football. Knows all the players, learning the game, etc.

He asked me last night about some of the best Ole Miss games I can remember.

I turned on the Ole Miss Bama game for ‘14, and man, I completely forgot on the game winning possession, after Bo is dealing (he just threw a bomb to Sanders to tie the game and a perfect back shoulder throw to Treadwell), he pulls Bo on the goal line to run a Liggins rollout to TE Nick Parker. Bama reads it perfectly resulting in a TFL. I thought to myself what would’ve happened had Liggins fumbled or turned the ball over.

I couldn’t help but laugh. Of course the next play, Freeze puts Bo back in and he throws the GW TD to Walton, but it was just more evidence that Freeze’s desire to be “cute” largely got in the way of his playcalling. Having an All-American DT and running him as a short yardage QB the next year cost him a game against Memphis.

I think he’s a decent playcaller and understands tendencies of other teams well, but I think his ego gets in the way. And I think it’s plausible given the emotional investment in this game that he’ll take playcalling this weekend and get in his own way again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News